Help buying laptop within $1,100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks

I would like to buy a laptop, which i will be using it for lotta BROWSING, Imaging, I amn't Gamer, so wont play games on Laptop

May use Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

HDD size should be more that 60GB

Should have a DVD writer

Want 1GB ram , Suggest 512MB Ram laptops, which i can upgrade with extra RAM

TFT should be >14.1" (15.4" will be really good)

These are the minimum specification

Since i live in India .. Suggest Compaq, HP, Lenova or Acer

Help me buy the best for this budget .. Thanks !

By far the best laptops for reliablity are the IBM Thinkpad T-series... even a used Thinkpad is better than most new ones from Compaq, Alienware, eMachines, or the lower end Dell Inspirons and low end HP's. The high end HP's are quite a different matter with a marvelous series of cooling fans.
But for $1100 new, you need to go slowly.
My second choice would be the Dell Latitudes... Third would be Gateways in the upper half of the price range... and fourth HP.
Under no circumstances would I get a Sony VAIO nor a no-name brand... due to the high failure rate and general unavailability of parts.
When you purchase a laptop, the reliability and long life of the LCD screen is number one, followed closely by parts availability. So buying a model with very high sales is a wise move.

important considerations.

1. battery life
2. strength of WIFI card
3. RAM - at least 1 GB - this is really important in a laptop. It boosts speed AND battery life.
4. Heat output. Some laptops like DELL are notorious for putting out a lot of heat. Not good - especially for laptops where cooling can be an issue.

I have a toshiba and it has been very good to me for 2 years.

Toshiba remains a good one, but if it needs warranty work, it can take six weeks. They no longer have control of their parts department, so when you need something, it is now difficult to get.
Still, most Toshiba models are very reliable.
You may be pushing the $1,100 limit for the 1 GB memory on some models of laptops, because you can easily pay $175 for 1 Gb on some Toshibas.
Your $1100 gets partially eaten by shipping and taxes which can cost you $112.
Pretty soon you are looking at an $800 laptop, which is still enough.

i have had a VAIO and not had the first problem with it. But on the other hand I wouldnt buy a Toshiba for anything! Had 2 of them and each had problems. Like keyboard stops responding and overheating issues. I have always had good luck with HP and Compaq laptops though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back