Gaming laptop performance / temperature help

DonNagual

SPECS
i5 11500H
16Gb ram
500Gb M.2

PROBLEM
Drops to 30-40FPS in Fortnite after a minute or so of play. (low settings)
3000pts below average on TimeSpy benchmark
CPU temp max 100c (GPU 80c)
Fans are both on, and moving a LOT of extremely hot air, as they should be.

THINGS I'VE TRIED
Repasted the CPU and GPU with MX-4 thermal grease
Updated BIOS
Completely reinstalled Windows 11
Installed all new drivers, including NVidia
Set to performance mode

I am assuming this is a thermal throttle, but what else can I do besides clean and reapply the thermal grease, as I have done?
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 2023-04-02.png
    2023-04-02.png
    946.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 2023-04-02 (1).png
    2023-04-02 (1).png
    267 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just undervolted the CPU by .80v, no change. Temps still hitting 100c. Games running terrible.

Based on the information you provided, it does seem like thermal throttling could be the cause of the performance issues you're experiencing in Fortnite and the lower TimeSpy benchmark scores. Here are a few additional steps you can take to address the thermal throttling and potentially improve performance:

1. Check for Dust Buildup: Ensure that the laptop's cooling vents and fans are free from dust and debris. Over time, dust accumulation can restrict airflow and lead to increased temperatures. Use compressed air or a soft brush to clean out any dust.
  2. Laptop Cooling Pad: Consider using a laptop cooling pad or an elevated stand to improve airflow underneath the laptop. These accessories can help dissipate heat more efficiently and keep the temperatures in check.
  3. Undervolting: Undervolting is a technique that involves reducing the voltage supplied to the CPU, which can help lower temperatures. However, this process requires caution and should only be done if you have experience with it and understand the risks. Undervolting can be done through software tools specifically designed for your CPU, such as Intel XTU or ThrottleStop.
  4. Power Limit Adjustments: Some laptops allow you to adjust the power limits of the CPU and GPU through software or the BIOS. By lowering these limits slightly, you can reduce the heat generated and potentially alleviate thermal throttling. However, be mindful that lowering power limits can also impact performance.
  5. Contact Manufacturer Support: If the above steps do not resolve the issue, consider reaching out to Gigabyte's customer support for further assistance. They may have specific recommendations or could provide warranty service if there is a hardware-related issue.
Remember, when dealing with thermal issues, it's crucial to ensure proper ventilation, maintain a clean system, and be cautious when making any changes to voltage or power limits.

Back