Help! How do I overclock my Core 2 Duo E6300 to over 3ghz using EVGA NVIDIA 680i mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a newly built machine with a EVGA NVIDIA 680i mobo, Core 2 DuoE6300, Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply, CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500 7H500F0 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive, ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler, and BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOCE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OC HDCP Video Card.
I just recently read in the Feb. issue of Maximum PC the Core 2 Duo E6300, is overclocking friendly. In that issue they overclocked it to 3.06ghz stable. I am new to the whole overclocking game. I want to use the BIOS to accomplish this task also. Can someone give me some tips? Thanks much.

FSB and Voltage

Is there a place were I can find the numbers on how much voltage and FSB I need to increase to get over 3 ghz, or to a specific speed?

I wouldn't mess with the voltage, not at first anyway. Raising the FSB to 430 MHz will put it a little over 3 GHz.

skaterx1101 said:
they overclocked it to 3.06ghz stable
note: every CPU is unique and will overclock differently. because they were able to reach 3.06GHz doesn't mean that yours will too. your's may go higher or lower and will depend on your other system components, cooling, experience, etc... There are no generic numbers regarding FSB, voltage, etc. that we can tell you. since your CPU's O/C'ing potential is unique, the only way to find out what yours can do is by trial and error.

skaterx1101 said:
I am new to the whole overclocking game. ~ Can someone give me some tips?
while overclocking is not difficult to do, it's not something we can teach you in a few sentences. it will require some research on your part first, and then we will be here to help if you have any questions afterwards.

there are plenty of overclocking guides on the internet (google is your friend ;)). I did a quick search and found these two below, but I would encourage you to find and read others as well.

• here is a detailed guide to overclocking, it explains the process pretty well

• here is an overclocking guide specific to a Core-2-Duo

good luck :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back