Help installing 2nd HD !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did install it .. set jumpers correctly ,the problem is not inside the computer.. is in the software or i dont know.. i got a 40 gb hd that came with my computer.. has win xp on it and everything.. and i bought a 60 gb for more storage.. but when i log in win Xp , the HD is not in the folder , my computer.. but it is connected right.. because when i go to my devices .. disk drives it is there .,.. its just i cant access it.. what should i do...?? some ideas would help !! thank u in advance!!!

You need to partition and format the drive.

In the control Panel, go to administrative Tools, Computer Management, then Storage, Disk Management

You should now see your devices listed in the top right.

A little intuition should allow you to partition and format the drive- right click on the disk and follow the menu choices.

Hope this helps- btw Welcome to Techspot!

thankx for caring .. im runnin Xp in the control panel there is no option as a administrative tools.. please keep on helping because i need to intall it .. thanks .. the only option i got are: appearence and themes , printers and other hardware , network and internet connections , add or remove programs.. date time and options, performance and maintenance..

cd drives

well after installing my second HD and partion it.. i booted my machine.. and when i went to my computer to look for the drives my cd drives were gone.. does somebody know how to fix this....

Maybe you just accidentally loosened the cable going to your CD drives. Just recheck.

thanks for the advice but i checked them already they are both connected.. so whta should i do, i checked the driver they are alright and eveythin is connected..

What type of Power Supply do you have in the system? Try plugging one CDROM in only (IDE and power connector) See if one shows up. Also, verify you have all the latest Windows Updates. I have seen some software glitches cause this.

Do they show up in the Disk Drive Management?
Bug

they do and i know isnot because of the physical installation cables are fine.. is windows Xp , because i got a USB 2.0 IDE Adapter and i connect it there .. and when i got to my devices it appears connected but not usable.. it appears with ! this in yellow over the neame i tried to update the driver but it doesnt work.. any other ideas.?

Check the cable both at your motherboard and at the CD drives. Note that if the master isn't found, the slave sometimes won't be found.

Also, try going into the BIOS and finding the setting to run an IDE auto-detect. This sometimes helps prompt windows to behave nicely.

In your device manager, are there any devices shown with warning or error signs? If so, what is the message in the details of those devices?

thanks .. how do i go into the bios.? in the device manager the only two that appear with this sign ! .. are the cd drives..

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41).. thats the message that appears.. on the info for the cd drives devices.. how do you access the the bios?

another thing .. i got a laptop is kinda old.. i know it can take up to 30 gb . imy mistake i bought a 40 gb is there any way i could make it work..? maybe partion the drive into 3o gb..? will that work .. because like i said on the top i got a IDE adapter 4 laptops and computers.. that connects to my usb port so i i can access the 40 bg laptop HD .. so if i partion it to 30 that my laptop can take you think it would work..?

If you have support for 30gb, most likely you have 40 as well...

That really should go in a different thread.

Did you move a CD drive to the second chain when you installed the new HD? Check the jumpers, be sure you don't have two masters, two slaves, one cable select and one other, etc. Adjust to have master, and slave.

The bios option should show up on the screen when you first turn on the computer- it'll say "press $key to enter setup" It's usually esc, tab, f1, del, or another f-key.

Don't mess with settings in there that you don't understand- you can render a machine unbootable until you fix the settings, and on rare occasions damage hardware.

no the settings are allright i checked them the dvd rom master and the other 1 slave i tried connecting the slave .. alone as a master.. nothing.. the master alone as a slave .. nothing.. i dont know im in a tight spot here guys windows wont let me use no cd drive..

im trying to fix the cd drive problem first .. the notebok 1 will solve it another day.. im trying to fix it and i just cant .. i know is not the cables inside not the jumper settings either .. because i got a IDE ADAPTER Connected to my usb port.. that supports cd drives , HD , etc.. when i disconnect the drives in the computer , the computer recognizes it... and i connect it to tha ide adapter and same thing happens.. they dont appear in my computer folder... and when i go to my device manager the have a ! sign . .. really tired of this computer .. first the HD i installed it booted the machine and now they wont work...

the cd drives on deck they are both ..new .. i had other drives in my closet so i tried connecting them and same thing happens .. we either looking of a ide cable failure .. which i dont think so because if that the computer wouldnt recognize anything.. or a windows xp problem..

i got it already it was an error .. i had to run regdit.exe look at some system files delete some and in notime it wuz up and going thanks a lot .. anything i could help.. (not with much but) ask me alright .. thanks

look inow lets go to the laptop proble in a pentium 2 266mhz gateway.. and i bought a new HD for it .. the computer has 128 ram .. and the HD is new .. and the computer bios is phoenix bios 4.0 has a password and i dont know it .. the computer wont recognize the new HD and i cant get her to read it .. any ideas..? i might be able to reset the bios password .. but the computer according to gate way can only take 30 bg.. what ya recommend me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back