Help needed upgrading Graphics Card and Power Supply on eMachines Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I joined this forum because I am interested in doing a fair amount of modification to my current computer and I've got some basic questions to ask. I've got a eMachines T2825 PC and am interested in getting a GeForce 6800GT card to replace the one I currently have put in there, a FX 5700le. Doing so would require putting in a new power supply, but I'm interested in going further and buying a new case w/ power supply because for about the same price as a power supply I can get a better ventilated case that also should have a quieter fan (The current T2825 case heats up my upstairs room way to much and keeps those in the bedrooms around it up at night if I do not turn it off, while the other -older- eMachines here makes almost no noise and runs cooler to the touch...) My question is, how difficult would it be to transfer my system to a new case (I've done basic installation of cards and RAM, and know enough to indentify the hardware in there, but I've yet to tackle anything at this level; ) or would it be a smarter move to go for just a new power supply and card?

The specs of my computer are as follows:
--------------------
eMachines T2825
CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+ Processor (2.083 GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition (installed SP2)
Chipset: NVIDIA® nForce™2
Memory: 512 MB DDR (PC 2700) (Upgraded with another 512mb stick)
Hard Drive: 120 GB HDD 2
Optical Drives: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD; 8-in-1 Media Reader(USB 2.0, Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce4™ MX graphics (Overridden by a 256MB FX 5700le in the AGP slot)
Sound: nForce™ 6-channel Audio
Modem: 56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Peripherals: Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, Diablo Optical Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Dimensions: 7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out, 200GB external HD attached
-----------------------

Hardware I want to install:

XFX Geforce 6800 GT 256MB AGP video card

ATRIX comptuer case w/ 480 watt power supply, side vent & fan

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Draeger

Sure

I dont see why the Card Wont work. The only problem witht the whole rig might be the PSU connection. You may have trouble upgrding it, you may not, depends on the model (and i really could tel ya) I would just look at the connections to see if it is the standard 20 or 24 pin. If it is...then i dont see a problem.

Good Luck

Sean

Draeger said:
Chipset: NVIDIA® nForce™2
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce4™ MX graphics (Overridden by a 256MB FX 5700le in the AGP slot)
Sound: nForce™ 6-channel Audio
-Draeger
What is the psu you now have?
Am I reading this right, are you using 2 vid's, or is one onboard?
I'd be concerned as to what speed the agp slot is.
If it's 4x then you loose out on alot the 6800 can do @ 8x !
I have a 6800 and they do require more power, so I would
recommend a better psu.(depending on what you have now)
G'Luck
Welcome!!! :bounce:

If I don't need a new PSU that would definitely make life easier; but a friend of mine bought an overclocked 6800 (256mb) and needed a new power supply for that.

Socrates:
-the other card is onboard, I just disabled it in the BIOS by preventing it from drawing power from the RAM.
-The AGP slot is 8x, don't worry
-the power supply is just the standard one that came with the computer, unfortunately I don't know how big it is or how to check (is it like labled on the inside or something?)

I have to admit I haven't opened the case up and looked at it in a whiles, but unfortunately I am working on a large video project for my father (it's taken up all of the external HD and is rapidly eating away at my C drive,) and he doesn't want me fooling around with anything 'til that is done, which should be in less than a week. I'll try to see if he'll at least let my open it up and check the pins, etc, but he's extra paranoid because the movie is the justifying project for a lot of funding he's gotten for the film class he teaches.

So, I'll probably just upgrade the PSU, if neccesary, and slap on some memory heatsinks or something; the big reason I wanted to go to a new case was heat and noise problems, but I'll survive and make sure not to overclock the card (did I mention I almost fried the 5700le by just slighty overclocking it with NVtweak :haha: )

Thanks for your input guys,
Draeger

Draeger said:
(is it like labled on the inside or something?)
Draeger
Yes it is a label, it may be on the other side of psu(requiring removal of psu or the other side panel).
Draeger said:
a friend of mine bought an overclocked 6800 (256mb)
Mine is the GT ver. and comes over clocked out of the box.
BFG geForce 6800 GT OC 256MB AGP. I believe it needs a min of 350w psu.
Good luck with the changes,
be very slow at them to spare grief on Vid Project!

If you want a new case AND a new PSU, look at the Antec Sonata II
Includes a proper 450W PSU, has all the cooling you want, and is very quiet.
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15139
Price range: $97.82 - $139.23
($120.- at Newegg)

The only problem with a transfer of components might be, that the plate in the back around the printer/mouse/keyboard etc. might not exactly fit, E-machines have a proprietary design. But if needed, a bit of DIY does wonders.
You might have the same problem with any other case.

Thanks for the info RBS; I'll probably just upgrade the PSU for now, but if I do choose to change the case, that advice will come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back