Help or advise on compTIA A+ & Network+

Hello all im hoping you guys can help advise me on a few issues im having with the compTIA A+ and what road is best to go down.

Ill do my best to give as much background information as I can and were im looking to go etc.

Ill start with my self and the plan, right so im 25 years old and I work in admin at the mo I live in London and I what to change career, I would like to be a technician weather based in one location fixing computer, or out and about its fine (working with hands really) I dont really want to do help desk so any thing that buy passes that would be great.

So far what I have done a City & Guilds level 1 & 2 in PC Maintenance and system support which were both passed. On finishing this 2 weeks ago I thought I would be able to start applying for jobs as thats what they stated in course info. I was wrong.
Course link: http://www.lambethcollege.ac.uk/adults/course_list.cfm?widCall1=customWidgets.courses_list_courseDetail&course_cit_id=361&cta_tax_id=494&showCourseKey=true
http://www.lambethcollege.ac.uk/adults/course_list.cfm?widCall1=customWidgets.courses_list_courseDetail&course_cit_id=759&cta_tax_id=494&showCourseKey=true

All jobs so far I have lloked for have asked for people at degree level and other things that I dont have. So since seeing that I knew I would have to get another qualifications some were.

So I came accross the compTIA A+
http://www.comptiauk.com/comptiaa+.html

which is were my new list of questions comes in. I found this site that offers the training matrieal and online help etc but ther asking for £700-£1000 for it. thats alot of money and I dont want to be in the postion that I am in now again where I pay for a course that I cant even get a job from.

I email my tutor today and he said I would be better off getting a compTIA book and reading through that then just booking a test which sounds better but is that better?

so here are the questions that i need answered if any one can.

can I get a job after doing the CompTIA A+?
what jobs can you get with the CompTIA A+?
is it worth doing the network+?
Should I use the training site or am i better off just useing the books?

If any one has any way or the best and faster way to get into IT please also advise.

Firstly, I think if you feel confident enough about your capabilities/grasp of the subject; you should not waste money by paying such a handsome amount to them; rather, just get the guide and study yourself.

However, simply doing A+ is just not enough (its just a starting point), you may get a low level job; but do you really want that or want to stay there for long? You need to identify which specific area you want to focus on. If you want to focus on networking etc. network+ makes sense and perhaps CCNA/CCPA or MCSE later down the road.

Now as most PCs run windows, MCSE path makes more sense. Now, I have no idea about job conditions / requirements for entry level IT jobs at your end; you should do bit of research e.g. look at the job adds for IT and try to figure out what they are asking for (specifically with regard to qualifications) for such jobs, better yet consult someone (local) who knows your IT job market.

Thanks for the tips there.

TBH I don't know where I want to be just yet as there is so many different fields that you can be in, for now I would just want to get into a job that is not help desk, more field tech than any thing. and then taking things from there after I gain experience and so on. Also while working i would prob do some further learning and as you said prob work towards the MCSE or another Microsoft cert when I know more of where I want to be.

I mean its just a big latter aint it and im just walking to it right now. Im cool with what I know so the study book will be my chosen path there. Just hope its what people want once its done.

Most jobs so far have been 2nd and 3rd line support that I have seen, seen a few saying CompTIA level, more have been MCSE and im sure I have seen CCNP which i have no idea about yet.

I have a desire to learn as much as I can and aim to be a person that know at least some thing in every field. at the end of the day the more you know the better

Alright then, good luck, and for later on certification-qualification wise, MCSE+CCNA/CCPA mix is very potent one as well; but thats for future. Have fun :)

Alright then, good luck, and for later on certification-qualification wise, MCSE+CCNA/CCPA mix is very potent one as well; but thats for future. Have fun :)

Thanks buddy, ill keep that in mind and will be sure to update as i go down this road

**EDIT**
This post contained outdated information. Since I cannot delete this post, I just cleared it.

There are tons of resources out there for A+ as well as NET+ training. The Mike Meyers Books were particularly helpful to me when I was studying for my A+ and NET+ certs. I had a friend that had a million different practice exam softwares too, but those cost quite a bit more sometimes. Transcender was the best, or the closest to how the real exams are structured and worded. If you are looking for totally free, youtube has some videos, and there are loads of forums. Just google stuff like "free A+ exam prep" or "free A+ resources." Use different keywords, mix it up a bit. You will find enough to at least let you know if oyu want to continue that path. If you decide you are serious about it, maybe spend a few bucks here and there to save yourself some time.

I would definitely check out those Mike Meyer's books if you are going to pursue this path.

And Archean is right...A+ is just the beginning of a journey. Net+ is the logical next step after the A+, and then you can really choose a direction. I went straight Microsoft...studying for the 270 and 290's (Windows XP and Server '03) right now.

Be fair warned about MS exams, though....there are a hundred ways to do everything in Windows, but Microsoft wants you to answer it THEIR way! Even if you can achieve the same results by doing 10 different paths, you must learn it their way. I think, for people like me that thought they knew about computers, it's harder to learn because I'm relearning the same stuff in a different way.

Good luck!

According to the CompTIA website, the 220-60x exams have been officially discontinued and replaced with the 220-701 and 220-702 exams (both required). The A+ exam has 90-100 questions, but not all the exams have the same questions (hence why the .701 study guide has 852 questions and the .702 study guide has 610 questions). The guides posted are all free and are taken directly from the exams. Just remember that you need to update your cert. every 3 years by retaking the newest exams.

1.) CompTIA A+ Essentials 220-701 Free study guide (taken directly from the test):
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27671868/220-701-COMPTIA-A

2.) CompTIA A+ Practical Application 220-701 Free study guide (taken directly from the test):
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27671729/220-702-COMPTIA-A

Taken directly from the CompTIA website:
2009 Edition

Required exams: CompTIA A+ Essentials, CompTIA A+ Practical Application

Number of questions: 100 for each exam

Length of test: 90 minutes each

Passing score: 675 for CompTIA A+ Essentials, 700 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application on a scale of 100-900

Languages: English, Spanish, German, Turkish

Exam codes:
220-701 for CompTIA A+ Essentials
220-702 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application

For more information, visit the CompTIA Certifications page:
http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed.aspx

Thank you all so much for you words of wisdom on this matter.

At the moment I'm still looking into doing this but it's been put on the back burner for the time being due to money reason.

I guess the next thing to ask would it be better of doi g the online courses that you see around and taking the exam. Or just readig the books on the subject and putting my self forward for the exams. I have been in touch with one place and all there stuf is online and you just learn from that really. I'm not sure reall how much I would take in if I would read it from a book.

The only thing is most places seem to ask for about £600 to £1000 for it but they cover the A+ and N+ which is what I need.

How did some o you go about doi g your A+ what would you suggest.

Hi there

I was interested in your post and I thought I might beable to give you a bit of insight into the whole A+ matter. I actually passed my second A+ exam today, so the whole experience is fresh in my head. I'm also the same age as you and I'm also trying to figure out my own path.

Well as far as choosing a path to take with the A+, I simply have to impress upon you that getting self study books from a book store, and then paying for an exam with prometric is 100% a great way to do it. If I may explain.... I live in South Africa, so these prices will seem a bit odd, but i payed R14 000 for the A+ and the N+ through a colledge. All I get from them are the same kind of books you will get at the book store, and I get to write the exams. They supposedly would have telephone support for any questions I may have had, but they are an absolute useless bunch that I will not talk about anymore. Anyway, after i had registered, i saw almost identical books in a book store for R500.00 to R600.00. and here the exams each cost R1080.00 so if I had just bought the books and payed for the exams the course would have cost me around about R4300.00 saving me about R10 000 !!!!! I gained absolutely nothing from being registered at this colledge other than having huge problems trying to get exam vouchers, study material ect ect...
If you have a computer with windows XP and Vista i seriously think that it's cheesecake to pass. I used the certblaster software (free download) to test myself, and in my personal experience, using the books (with no help from anyone) and using the test software is a perfectly good way to do the A+. Also note that I am not an experienced IT person, I have never worked at an IT company, so you are therefore more "in the know" than I, and I passed so I'm sure you can to.

I hope this helps you in making a desicion. All the best

Matt

sorry one other thing for whom ever may read this, 2010 is the last year that the Comptia A+ will not have to be maintained every few years (ie: writing exams again to keep your certificate) Comptia announced that they where going to make the A+ an expiring course. However after many complaints from people that had registered for the course, said that it would be in breach of contract to make this ruling. Comptia retracted the ruling, however from 2011 this will be the case. Please note I am not sure of the date.

Any more words to offer on this. Was looking back into doing this today and may even go for the MCSE is this possaible with out the A+

Your question was basically asking if it is "possible" to do the mcse without the A+. The short answer is yes, as there are no requirements to do the exam.

However, it would probably be a good idea to have had some good work experience in IT to understand what is going on, or alternatively, have the A+ or N+ for that same knowledge. So to make the desicion, base it either on your knowledge of IT, or wether or not you are willing to put in the extra effort for where your knowldge is lacking.

I hope that answers the question

Matt

Hi Folks,

I am changing my career after 13 years. Spoke to career adviser and she advised me to go for IT. Can anyone help me from where to start? Some say A+ some say Adobe and Some say C/C++???

Help!!

Back