Help regarding heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxis

Greetings, everyone:

I have a computer I use to game. It's really far from being a super computer, but it satisfies my needs. I'm not an extreme gamer or anything like it. This is a picture of the "insides" of my computer. (High res, 1.70 Mb .jpg file).

>> -- Click to maximize.

I have a 80 mm fan sucking air in on the front of my case, another 80 mm fan on the side sucking air in (you can see it), a 90 mm fan blowing air out on the back and the PSU fans.

Now, sometimes when I run heavy CPU-usage tasks, the heatsink's fan starts to run really loud, which worries me, I don't want my processor to be ruined. It's a Pentium D @ 2.8 Ghz.

1- See the heatsink air duct? Am I better off unscrewing the duct and placing an 80 mm fan on there, sucking air in?

2- See the video card? that's a PCI-E Nvidia GeForce 8600GT -- It has it's own fan. I have a PCI-E sound card which is normally placed just underneath my video card... But recently, the video card's fan seems to have "loosened" out of position, causing it to get stuck on the sound card, thus preventing it from spinning. Everything was ok for like 6 months, and this started to happen just recently, so I had to remove the sound card as a temporary measure (You can see the unused opening on the back of the case). Any ideas on what can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Happy Holidays;

~Coxis.

I can't see any pictures. If you have a CPU heatsink air duct, remove it. Is this computer a Dell or HP?

The link to the pic is there... you just have to sort of "decode" it -- site won't let me post links until my post count reaches 5.

I actually removed the duct, placed an 80 mm fan in there and my CPU temperatures improved a lot, no more annoying heatsink noise! I'm happy about that.

I have a bigger problem though, my video card's heatsink fan keeps falling off, I really want to fix it without having to buy a new 3rd party heatsink, as this will cost like half a new video card. The video card works great... When the fan falls off, my card overheats and starts going all choppy. I can place the fan back in position but it will fall off over time or by the slightest case movement. This really gets me down cause I had never had problems with it. =( Note: If I place the fan back in position, everything will work perfectly, until it falls off.

The fan is the only thing that'll fall off, the heatsink is always in position. Is a new video card heatsink my only alternative?

BTW it's not a brand computer, it's generic. I assembled it.

I have now enabled your "Pic" in your original reply
By the way, next time, do not post such large pics
You are best to load a reduced size (as I have done) and if required, link to the maximized size (as I have done above)
Note: Editing your post, may show you how this is done, but do not save any changes, else the Pic will go (ie under 5 posts)

You don't need 5 Posts, you just need to ask ;)

That vid card fan shroud has a rear retainer 'x' so I would wonder how it got loose unless it wasn't secure to start with?

Did you tighten it back together?

edit: it is very hard to see more than that - describe how the fan attaches to the shroud

Depending on the age of the graphics card, you may be able to send it back under warranty assuming the problem hasn't been caused by you e.g. noticeably broken off parts.

Yes it has a metal plate the the heatsink screws into. Good inexpensive choice :approve:

Thanks for all your replies, and thanks for enabling my link, kimsland. I know how to post thumbnails, but it won't let me since I can't link anything.

I took 4 pictures of my video card and it's heatsink (All of the pictures have notes in them)

Here you can see my video card and soundcard all set up and secured properly, with the fan from my video card visible. The video card's fan will eventually fall off and grind against the sound card:

Here you can see the heatsink of the video card, with the fan attached:

Here you can see the fan removed from the heatsink:

And here you can see the fan. Having a closer look, the fan looks like it has some sort of dent which I think is how it latches in the heatsink motor:

Notes:

• No mishandling of the card or case ever took place. My case was always closed until after this event.
  • I've had the card for 6 months now, and this hadn't happened until recently.
  • Placing the fan back in place will do the trick and will actually work perfectly until it falls off again; sometimes in a matter of minutes, sometimes hours.
  • The fan seems to have a magnet ring and so does the heatsink, which leads me to believe this is how the fan is supposed to stay in place.

@ CCT: I *think* you might be talking about the retainer that holds the entire heatsink in place. My problem is that the fan falls off (only the fan) but the heatsink will stay in place. The fan attaches only by placing it back in position, you can see that more clearly on the images

@kimsland: Much appreciated if you enable my links. I tried to send you a PM to tell you that, but it seems that the PM system has a post count restriction as well.

I guess the question is, what are my options here? Is there a work around to this, like getting a new fan, or will I have to buy a new heatsink altogether?

P.S.: All the pics are in the same domain as the pic from my OP. If you happen to take a look at this post before the links are enabled, just open the picture link on the first post and change the filename to the ones listed here.

Thanks;

~Coxis.

That groove would probably be used to mount a 'c clip' or split-ring retainer and it has come off.

If the card is warranted, call to RMA it. If not, time to buy an after-market heat sink.

I do note there are empty holes on the mount - perhaps adding another (new) muffin fan would work. Could just use small cable ties instead of bolts/screws.

super glue?! he might damage something
the best way is to remove the heatsink, clean it and apply thermal epoxy (google for info) or ask around

imo, it's best you use the warranty on the card though; the images show an ASUS EN8600GT which should have 3 years of warranty

also, the Intel heatsink has a temp sensor that automatically changes the fan's RPM to a higher level if temps rise; you should be able to modify how that works from the BIOS

Captain828, the guys FAN fell apart/off.

The heatsink is nicely attached apparently.

Although how he would glue a rotating fan into place is another issue also.

LoL

Although how he would glue a rotating fan into place is another issue also.

Hah, you're right. Looks like the magnet on the fan works with the electromagnetic coils on the heatsink to rotate (part of the motor) - I had thought that it was just the fan attached to a motor which which could be glued on.

Alright guys, thanks a lot for your help... that is sad news indeed.

@CCT: Can you elaborate on that muffin fan workaround you mention? I'm not familiar with those terms. =/

I'll look into RMAing it, but in case I don't, does anyone have any opinions on Thermaltake's S Orb NVidia heatsink? I can't post a link to it due to post count. =(

@CCT: Can you elaborate on that muffin fan workaround you mention? I'm not familiar with those terms. =/

IF you can't RMA the card despite to the obvious defect:

The type of heatsink you have, the 'open flower' or 'blossom finned' type with a central fan should allow removal of the old fan (screws are visible in your photo I believe) and use of an appropriate size small case or other fan instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110573 1372726520&name=40mm

Attaching could be done using eletrical wire ties. This can be fun to do and is MUCH cheaper than getting a new heatsink/fan combo.

Other alternatives:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=576&name=VGA-Cooling

http://www.squidoo.com/video-card-fan-replacement

Thanks for the great resources there, CCT. That replacing your video card fan guide will help a lot. Question, won't I need an adapter or to modify the new fan connector so that it matches the connector on the video card? or do all 40 mm fans come with that type of connector?

And the reason I don't wanna RMA it is because I'm from Mexico, and trust me, RMAing here is no simple task. All the paperwork, the shipping costs, the process of it. Yup, I'd rather spend $20 on a new heatsink (or now that you've shed some light on the subject, fix it myself) than RMAing it... that's how bad it is.

And thanks Kimsland... I tip my hat off to you. You're a fine moderator, taking time to make thumbnails and stuff for my links.

Most (not all) of those tinier fans are just the standard 2-socket plug like your gpu card fan.

Just look carefully OR ask the vendor.

You'll need to take that other off anyway - a good example to show.

gl to ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back