Help - Retrieving data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirael

Hello all, I have an HP Pavilion DV6000 Laptop.

For whatever reason, it's deciding it will not turn on. I get no lights, and no beep code either. My battery is pretty bad and when I plug in the power cord it doesn't light up (the piece that goes into my computer, there's a light band around it that lights up when properly put in). I've bought a new laptop already, as this HP has been breaking down all the time, so I've given up on it.

However, I do have important data on there that I would like to retrieve as I have no backups. Is there any way I could get it without the computer on? (Or maybe a possibility to turn the computer on and get it?)

tl;dr My laptop doesn't turn on, but I wish to retrieve the data. Any possibilities?

hope to have understood your problem:

I don't know your laptop but I think it has the hard-disk. If it has the hard-disk and you don't know what to do you have a lot of ways to resolve your problem:

-The first and most expensive is to go into a laptop center asking to backup your datas;
-The second is to ask someone you know that understand about hardware something more then you and ask to him to do it;
- The third could be to try doing it by yourself.

Probably you would like the third way. If you would like doing it by yourself you need some skills, you need the hardware guide for your model and some tools.

You can find the guide here: _http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035677.pdf
I found your instructions at page 153 (hope not to be wrong about the page).

After you'll have extracted your hard disk you have more ways to obtain your goal.

You only have to remember to take care about it: don't throw it away, don't napping on it, dont use it as a ball, don't wash it, don't use it as it is any kind of tool: it is what you need so immagine it is made of very tiny glass.

You have to connect it as supplementary hard-drive of another working pc or laptop for doing it you could:

1) buy an adaptor IDE/SATA to USB and connect it throught any USB port
2) buy an IDE/SATA BOX to USB, mount the hard drive into the box and connect it throught any USB port
3) buy an IDE/SATA adapter to PCI or to IDE and connect it throught any internal PCI socket or IDE socket of a PC

after connecting it you'll have to browse your hard-drive and save/backup your datas.

Wow... that's extremely helpful. I was thinking taking out the harddrive would be an idea but I didn't know what to do then. :)

So I just pick one of the 3 options at the end for how I will connect my hardrive to something? I do have money to bring it to a shop, but doing it myself would definitely be better.

Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back