*HELP* Router Periodic Disconnection for a few seconds!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwnewson

Help me please!! Anyone have this problem??

My router is brand new - a D-Link DI-604 basic 4-port ethernet router. It works just fine sharing a Cable Internet connection with four computer in a network... except that every person experiences periodic disconnections several times a day! I have Windows 2000, and it will say "Network Cable Unplugged" and I will be disconnected all of a sudden, then after about 4 seconds it will go back up again. The cables are fine... the lights are always on okay... weird no?

I'm not the greatest in computers so could someone help?? THANKS A MILLION!

It doesn't look like a router crash, it should take more than 4 seconds to boot up..

Cabling problems could be one reason. How long cables do you use? Did you crimp them yourself? Do the diconnects occur when using short cables or forcing the network speed to 10Mbps?

And of course I can give you the default reply: is the router using the latest firmware?

I updated the firmware and now it works!!
:-$
Sorry for such a dumb question! I'm a mathematician not a computer scientist!

hehe, no problem. Its nice to see someone who actually gets his problem solved here :p

Its not a dumb question anyway, i'd say that there are still some computer scientist/ programmer out there who are not familiar with computer hardware.

Agreed, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Whether or not you think it is dumb yourself, there is someone else out there who will benefit from you asking it. So dont' feel bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back