Help! "Windows explorer has stopped working and needs to restart" when i open "my com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. This is my second post. I originally posted in window crashes but got a response from someone telling me to run the "8 step program" so I did. Here are the logs, I will attach them seeing I am a new member and it won't allow me to paste them saying they contain links. The issue I have is that when I go to open "my computer" folder the message comes up "windows explorer has stopped working and needs to restart". I started in safe mode and DO NOT get the message.
Operating sysytem windows vista on a hp tx1000.

Attachments

• Attach.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DDS.txt
    15.4 KB · Views: 2
  • gmr.log
    358 bytes · Views: 2
I have noticed that there is no antivirus program running
Good security demands, in part, that you have an up-to-date antivirus program. This protects the system against viruses, Worms and some Trojans. Without this protection, the system is more vulnerable to attacks. Since you do not have an antivirus program, please consider installing one of the following programs- Note: You should have only one antivirus program.
Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
Avira Free
Avast Home

Please reboot the system after the installation is complete.
Once the programs is installed, you should check for updates immediately.

I don't find a log from Malwarebytes. Please run that scan and leave the log in your next reply.

I started in safe mode and DO NOT get the message.
This is somewhat diagnostic in itself:
If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or reverse the change.

Using Safe Mode to determine a basic source of a problem:The choices:
  • Safe Mode: Loads the minimum set of device drivers (serial or PS/2 mouse devices, standard keyboards, hard disks, CD-ROM drives, and standard VGA devices)and system services required to start Windows XP/2000/2003.(Event Log, Plug and Play, remote procedure calls (RPCs), and Logical Disk Manager.) User specific startup programs do not run. This is helpful in determining whether problems are due to specific programs.
  • Safe Mode with Networking: Includes the services and drivers needed for network connectivity. Safe mode with networking enables logging on to the network, logon scripts, security, and Group Policy settings. Nonessential services and startup programs not related to networking do not run. Helpful if needed but should be used with caution as the security programs don't load in this mode.

So by using the different options of Safe Mode, you can sometimes determine what the area of problem is- and isn't.
======================================
After you have gotten the AV program installed, follow with Mbam. Then do the following:
Please download ComboFix from Here and save to your Desktop.

• [1]. Do NOT rename Combofix unless instructed.
    [2].Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    [3].Close any open browsers.
    [4]. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts to run.
  • NOTE: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If it does not, restart your computer to restore your connection.
    [5]. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    [6]. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always allow.
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    [7]. A report will be generated after the scan. Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt in next reply.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall.
Note: Make sure you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix..

Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner HERE
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

Leave the Combofix report, Eset scan log in your next reply with the Mbam log. In the meantime, I will finish checking the logs you left.

Please do not run any other cleaning or scanning programs while I am helping you. Do not run a Registry Cleaner or make any Registry changes.

following up on antivirus program

Yes that is my bad. I had Avast installed but had just uninstalled as it was 1 of the possible causes according to some research within other sites, but obviously not the cause of my problems. So i have reinstalled it. I will run the other programs you mentioned as well. I ran the malwarebytes and it said when it finished no issues were found. I did a search for the log file and can't find one.

OHHH! did what you asked. Combofix ran but I can find no log file, searched in all files and folders and nothing. Also when I run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner my system crashes and I get the dreaded blue screen, message is "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal"

All of the programs you ran produce logs- whether they find any malware or not! So you had no antivirus program and the programs didn't show logs. We go back to where you started and that's the likelihood of a system problem. You probably have malware also.

You can use the Event Viewer to find Errors that correspond to the BSOD. but it might not work either or produce a log:

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop:

Setting up the program

Double-click VEW.exe to run.

• Select log to query, select
  • Application
  • System

Under Select type to list, select:
  • Critical (Vista only)
  • Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
  • Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
  • Then click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.

Load the log
  • In Notepad, click Edit> Select all
  • Then press Edit > Copy
  • Press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log to your next reply.
(Courtesy rev-Olie)

The Java has been way out of date, meaning each v6.0.3 and v6.0.5 have been vulnerabilities. The current version is v6u20.

Here's the dreaded news: please reformat and reinstall. I don't know what else to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back