help with codecs

Status
Not open for further replies.

joellen

Please help this newbie understand the use and proper setting up of codecs.
In my Multimedia devices all the audio and video codecs have a red mark on them, showing that they aren't functioning. It shows all drivers as enabled, but no propeties set for Multmedia device class.
I know they are important to compress and decompress files, but how do you know which ones to enable, and how do you do it?
If it's any help, I have Sound BlasterAudio PCI 64V. Help will be greatly appreciated.

joellen

Codes encode & decode audio/video formats. There doesn't seem to be a way to enable/disable them other than uninstalling. Some apps let you set their priorities.

I just install all of them like k-lite codec pack.

Could you take a screenshot of your red marks and host them at http://www.imgsatellite.com ?

Re: screenshot of codecs

Thanks for the prompt reply! I'll be happy to send a screen shot, except, this newbie doesn't know how to do that either. Sorry. If you can tell me how, I can do it, I'm sure.
Also don't know how to find out which ones I need, and how to go about downloading them. Sure willing to learn, though! :)

joellen

screen shot

To take a screenshot, hit the Print Screen Button (Top Row to the right) and then go into Paint, then it is as simple as pasting (crtl+v)

Hope this helps

Sean

Re: screen shot

Hi, and again, many thanks. Only a newbie like me needs a real step by step, I guess. Had no problem following you on the how to, but when I got to the Imgsatellite site, got stuck. I saved the screenshot to my documents, did a copy, but when I got to the upload site, paste was grayed out ... where did I mess up?? Went into 'browse', but didn't find my file. How do I upload? Or do I need start over and save to a different file? Sorry to have to keep bugging. The first time around these things seem complicated, but getting my problem fixed is very important to me. I appreciate your patience. :confused:

joellen

I'm sorry that site is confusing when it comes to uploading. But they offer unlimited file sizes.

Click the leftmost or "home" after you log in. [Browse], browse to your picture, upload it.

You may have saved the files elsewhere. Do Start > Search.

Re: uploading codecs

Hello akhilles,

it's Dumb-dumb again. I got it right this time. :knock: BUT, I got the following message:
Cannot modify header information-headers already sent by (output started at/home/imgsatel/public_htm/FreeAccount.php:59) in /home/imagsatel/public_html/FreeAccount.php on line 60
Now, does this mean you already got it? Or, if you didn't, do I need to start over, and save it to a different file to resend? if an upload is succesful, is there a notice of completion to let me know?
I hope this forum never closes! You people are so willing to help, and patient, as well. Keep up the good work!

joellen

Re: problem uploading

Hi akhilles and all who are helping me,
I tried again today to upload my codecs screen shot, but got the same message, unable to process. Is there another way I can get this to you? Like, I can put them all in an enail and send that way, or if you know a better way, let me know, please. Thanks a bunch for what you're doing for me!

joellen

Re: uploading codecs file

Went in to iuploads.com just now, and it uploaded.
The site lists an image url, a thumbnail url, an HTML url and an Image Page url.
I'm sending the image url, but if you need any or all of the others, let me know and I'll get it right off to you.

http:www.IMGSatellite.com/u/05/98/02/codecs.png

The url for the video codecs is the same, except the 'codecs' is replaced by 'codecs1'.

Hope this does it. :confused:

joellen

I don't see a problem in the screenie. Mine looks about the same more or less.

Upload the Device Manager screenie.

You install the mobo's driver CD for sound to work.

Re: Ongoing codecs help

Hi akhilles,
Went into the device manager screen, but didn't find what you're talking about. I really hate being so inept at these things, but have to learn somehow. If you get tired of my bugging, let me know.

Now, what is the 'mobo' driver, how is it listed in the device manager, and what cd are you referring to ... the windows install? I bought this pc used and only got the install cd for it.

Am I getting in over my head?? I really need to get this fixed right. I'm missing out on some important conference calls because I can't get sound to my headset and mic to get into their chat room. I have sound from the chat room to my speakers, but no sound or video to the media player (which I did have before the codecs all turned up with the red mark on them), and sound isn't going from my mic to the chat room. I really feel the codecs are the problem, but how do I go about reinstalling them? Or is that even the answer?

Anxiously waiting,
:eek:
joellen

start > control panel > system > hardware > device mgr > take a screenshot & upload it.

If there's any yellow exclamation mark, there's a problem with the driver/hardware.

When you installed Windows, the next thing to do would be to install drivers from motherboard CD, if it's a custom-built. If it's from a big name, you get a Restore CD, etc. Try that.

Also, you can run I.E. > Win. Update to download the latest, ms-certified drivers.

Actually, you can enable/disable/change settings for codecs:

codecs.png

(don't ask me what codecs are doing in hardware section :rolleyes: )

However, joellen's problem sounds like DirectMedia isn't working properly. Have you checked with dxdiag if everything's ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back