Help with XP shutdown issues and ctrl alt del

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am having what I think is an odd problem. I have searched and seen other similar posts, but no solid answers. OUt of nowhere today (installed printer software yesterday though), my "shutdown" box is different. It used to be a box with shut down, restart and log off icons, now it is a larger box with a drop down. Also, the saving your settings, logging off, etc are all different than before AND it took me to a login/password screen at startup- even that no longer was a welcome screen with icon but a "user name and password" screen. I unchecked the password required (though I never checked it in the first place) and it no longer asks, but it still has a different "loading your settings" (or something like that) box when starting. Lastly, when I hit ctrl alt del, it no longer brings me to the task mgr screen, but a screen with options such as lock computer, log off, shut down, etc.

Any idea what changed and how I get it back? Thank you in advance.
Joe

OK, after playing with it more I noticed it used to have a blue screen with windows logo when shutting down and it would say "saving settings, etc". Now it just has a box that pops up over my desktop saying all that as it is shutting down. I apologize for not being more knowledgeable, I know enough about computers to get around them fairly well, but I am no expert. Thank you again.
Joe

Go to user accounts click on Change the way users log on or off and check Use the Welcome Screen & Use Fast User Switching. Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

bsaber said:
Go to user accounts click on Change the way users log on or off and check Use the Welcome Screen & Use Fast User Switching. Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

Funny you mention that- last night after the printer install, I had to UNCHECK them for it to boot regularly. Tonight, I rechecked them and it seems almost back to normal. It seems to start, go through the typical routine and then go to my desktop- only to switch back to a blue "loading your personal settings" screen which it never did before (at least not after it went to the desktop). Is it possible that the printer software just screwed up the settings or boot pattern (order?) somehow? Thanks.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back