Here's what the new Unreal Tournament game looks like after just three weeks of development

Shawn Knight

Staff member

unreal tournament

Earlier this month, Epic Games announced the next installment in the Unreal Tournament franchise. The team started from a blank slate and now less than three weeks later, we have a look at the game’s very first deathmatch.

As you’d expect from a game that is barely three weeks old, it’s extremely rough around the edges. But as senior designer Nick Donaldson points out, the current iteration features a functional weapon system, some basic player movements and a “questionably operational” kill system. Naturally, it’s being built using the Unreal Engine 4.

The footage shows the design team battling it out in a tiny multiplayer arena that consists of little more than boxes for props and a blue sky overhead. The team even called Donaldson out for using hacks like wall dodging – the type of stuff that won’t make it into the game’s final cut.

Epic Games revealed plans for the new game back on May 8 during a live Twitch session. The game will stay true to its roots as a competitive first-person shooter although the development team is taking a unique approach this time around by offering the game completely free of charge. Furthermore, they’re asking Unreal Engine 4 developers and fans of the franchise to contribute to the project via the Unreal Engine 4 community.

It’s being created for Windows, Mac and Linux. A user-playable version of the game is still many months away but it’s good to see that the team already has a working prototype. 

Permalink to story.

I have all versions of Unreal Tournament, and I've played all of them extensively.

UT - I and UT 2004 are the best of them all by far. Unreal 2007 is very boring, I don't play anymore, went back to UT 2004, which is the most joyful shooter ever.

Real soldiers, to me, look better than scruffy mercenary types. Droids vs stormtroopers would look awesome.

Looks pretty good. I have never played UT at all. Can't wait for this installment so I can check it out.

Ummm, was that really all they wanted to show off in that video, some rudimentary gameplay mechanics and a single weapon... Not impressed to say the least. Was this suppose to generate hype? or something... Anyways, if they hold true to the gameplay style UT has been known for (UT200X) generation with all the modding and customization I will enjoy the series again, if they make another UT3, I'll pass. Not really sure why it wasn't more popular, maybe it's because the game felt more like an unfinished tech demo then a game, not to mention the abysmal multiplayer experience due to lack of support.

I was a really big UT fan. I played the very first unreal. It was the first game I ever played online. It's good news to see another UT game in development. I can't wait!

UT2004 was my favorite. Bring back Onslaught!

You do realize they had NOTHING 3 weeks ago, right? thats quite a bit of work for 3 weeks.

Already runs better than BF4

Thats because it has enough graphic intensity as pacman.... if BF4 looked like a cod game it would run 300FPS on a 4k monitor with a 630GT....

Have you ever built a game? The fact that they have any animations, multiplayer networking support, multiple character models, functional controls... that's amazing for 3 weeks worth of work.

Nothing but the already built engine?

You do realize an engine is just predesigned code that understands your code right? There's nothing there when you start building a game but a black screen. Even with a user friendly game/engine like project spark, I bet you couldn't do 1/2 as well in a 3 week period using preset models and animations. Then think about making all of that from scratch.

I'm psyched. I disagree with a lot of people one here, UT2003 was superior to 2004 in my opinion. They were similar, but still felt very different.

Actually no, I did not realize that. I was thinking it was some kind of world editor like starcraft2. My bad.

Have you ever built a game? The fact that they have any animations, multiplayer networking support, multiple character models, functional controls... that's amazing for 3 weeks worth of work.

You do realize an engine is just predesigned code that understands your code right? There's nothing there when you start building a game but a black screen. Even with a user friendly game/engine like project spark, I bet you couldn't do 1/2 as well in a 3 week period using preset models and animations. Then think about making all of that from scratch.

I'm psyched. I disagree with a lot of people one here, UT2003 was superior to 2004 in my opinion. They were similar, but still felt very different.

Yes I have but I can without a doubt say that the demo they show doesnt need 2 titants to run it, infact it requires a GT 630 or do you think its that badly coded it requires a 780? I have made a few games before and with those kinds of graphic and that amount of content it will easily run on a 630GT at well over 100FPS...

I like the chair with the control panel of the guy with the big jug :) Does anyone knows which mode is it ?

Yes I have but I can without a doubt say that the demo they show doesnt need 2 titants to run it, infact it requires a GT 630 or do you think its that badly coded it requires a 780? I have made a few games before and with those kinds of graphic and that amount of content it will easily run on a 630GT at well over 100FPS...

I never said anything about the system requirements. I bet the coding is pretty bad at the moment. There've had no time to optimize anything yet. The point is they're obviously passionate about getting this game out. That's what the video is meant to demonstrate. They're not sitting on their hands doing art sketches or nonsense like that. They are building it, and it looks like much of the foundation work is complete. The video shows everything it was meant to. That the game is in progress already, it's roots are already done, and the game should be out in a reasonable time frame. Mission accomplished in my book. Final system requirements aren't known until the game hits gold.

Actually no, I did not realize that. I was thinking it was some kind of world editor like starcraft2. My bad.

It's all good, I bet a lot of people think that. The easier way to think of a game engine would be, imagine you want to build a program that runs on Windows (any program.) Windows already understands C++, Java, C#, etc (programming languages.) Windows would also be considered an engine because you don't need to create another program to interpret those languages. The unreal engine does offer GUI tools and such, but the basic premise is the same.

It's all good, I bet a lot of people think that. The easier way to think of a game engine would be, imagine you want to build a program that runs on Windows (any program.) Windows already understands C++, Java, C#, etc (programming languages.) Windows would also be considered an engine because you don't need to create another program to interpret those languages. The unreal engine does offer GUI tools and such, but the basic premise is the same.

I am not sure I would go as far as you are suggesting. Using a game engine generally means that a LOT of the work is already done for you. That's why people pay lots of money(at least in the past) to use game engines. To build their vision and not have to worry about implementing all the features.

I actually fall somewhere in the middle between both of your extreme view points. It's really up to the developers how much they wanna tweak.

For 3 weeks of work I could never judge whether it should be better or worse but I think it looks pretty rough. If these are the same guys that worked on all the previous versions of UT then they would be considered veterans. If it's a new group of green horns than this work might be considered good. If they are all veterans I am not so sure.

Just my two cents.

Why are you guys being judgmental this early in development? I could understand opinions on a finished product, but not a work in progress. Who gives a **** how far along they are after only 3 weeks. Save your opinion for when the game releases. I'm sure it will cost the same, whether it took a month or six years.

Why are you guys being judgmental this early in development? I could understand opinions on a finished product, but not a work in progress. Who gives a **** how far along they are after only 3 weeks. Save your opinion for when the game releases. I'm sure it will cost the same, whether it took a month or six years.

That's what I was kinda thinking myself. Like why are they even talking about this 3 weeks into development? :) Maybe we all need a deeper understanding to appreciate what they have done but honestly I think I have a decent understanding of things as I laid out in my first post on this article.

If they are veterans and have made multiple games before than they know how to get a game up and running fast already. In other words, the learning curve is much smaller for each new game they seek to create. That's my experience from building websites anyway. You don't have to go back to school every time you start a new project. I don't think anyone here is passing a final judgement. I am just saying that it is not all that impressive (at the moment). The UE4 "demo" blew my mind. This? Not so much!

Last edited:
Good to see mechanics being worked on in 3 short weeks.......however.....does anyone else get the terrible UT3 feeling about the movement here? it wasn't the worst game ever made, but between 2k4 and and UT3 I went from a free moving, fast thinking twitch shooter to a hopping slug with a rocket launcher. I hope the community keeps this from happening again

Back