Hey Hey 16k

pml.

I was like 5 years old, back in 1987, when I wrote my first BASIC program on my ATARI 65XE.

It went something like...

10 PR. "Hello"
20 GOTO 10

Those were the days. I coded on that, mainly simple programs for calculations, all the way until I was 10. I gave up altogether then though. No-one I knew did coding, so I trned more and more to my NES over those years. lol

GOSUB, FOR, IF, THEN, SOUND, PRINT, INPUT. Those were the days. :)

I just tried writing a simple program from my memory of BASIC on the ATARI, and failed miserably. lol. If anybody can put this straight for me, I'll be most impressed. looks like I've forgotten it.

10 Print "what is your age? Answer in numeric form"
20 Input Answer$
30 If Answer$ < 1 then GOSUB 10
40 If Answer$ > 110 then GOSUB 10
50 If Answer$ => 1 OR Answer =< 110 then print "You are " Answer$ "years old."

Hey, it's been a long time!!!! :D

I remember some of the character set on the Atari 800 looked like bits of window frames. I remember coding a simple program that just repeatedly printed |-|-| type combination and lines of characters for the tops and bottoms of the window frames. When run looked like you were falling down a building. 48k expanded memory on cartridges twice the size of a PDA :D

Ah those were the days... *goes off to dig out the Atari and its Pacman, Space Invader, Centipede and Dig Dug cartridges...

They did mention a VIC, but no number followed. I think it was because if you put 20 in after it would have screwed up the song.

Some of what was mentioned I didn't know personally but I did know they existed. The oldest thing I remember is my dad had Pong that was its own unit iirc, and had 2 sliders that you used to control the paddles. But I do remember trying to write basic on a C64, and loading and saving stuff from a cassette tape.

We had an Okadata printer for it, a tape drive, and a disk drive. I remember wearing out joysticks all the time playing games on it. Then I remember when we finally hooked it up to a Color TV, rather than a Black and White one. It was like a whole new computer :eek: :grinthumb

Originally posted by Spike
I just tried writing a simple program from my memory of BASIC on the ATARI, and failed miserably. lol. If anybody can put this straight for me, I'll be most impressed. looks like I've forgotten it.

10 Print "what is your age? Answer in numeric form"
20 Input Answer$
30 If Answer$ < 1 then GOSUB 10
40 If Answer$ > 110 then GOSUB 10
50 If Answer$ => 1 OR Answer =< 110 then print "You are " Answer$ "years old."
I guess you didn't remember that GOSUB is what it sounds like, GO to SUBroutine, from where it RETURNs ;)
Use GOTO instead in those :p

I still remember BASIC quite well :)

Back