Homeland Security warns of pending Anonymous attacks

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The US Department of Homeland Security released a warning bulletin today regarding the planned activities of Anonymous. The DHS National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center (NCCIC) used the bulletin as an opportunity to inform financial institutions about Anonymous' attempts to "solicit ideologically dissatisfied, sympathetic employees."

Although largely unsuccessful, Anonymous has made previous attempts via Twitter to coax usernames and passwords out of disgruntled financial workers. The bulletin noted that "unwilling coercion through embarrassment or blackmail may be a risk to personnel."

The bulletin was marked unclassified and addressed openly to those in charge of cybersecurity and other critical infrastructure and also detailed tools they believe Anonymous plan to use in the immediate future.

Apache killer is one of two tools specifically highlighted. It works by exploiting a vulnerability in Apache allowing the intruder to remotely execute attacks on a server. It's said to force machines to consume huge amounts of RAM and CPU usage with a fairly modest number of requests.

The second tool is the much-publicized #RefRef script, which Anonymous says will be ready for the planned September attacks. Although various scripts claiming to be by-products of #RefRef have surfaced in the wild, its damage potential remains unknown.

The bulletin goes on to confirm Anonymous' previously publicized events over the next three months. The Occupy Wall Street attack is planned for September 17 with similar rallies in the financial districts of Madrid, Milan, London, Paris and San Francisco also scheduled.

Operation Facebook will supposedly protest the social networking giant's alleged privacy violations on November 5, though various sources believe this is an overly-exaggerated hoax.

Project Mayhem is scheduled for December 21, but few details are known about what is planned.

If you haven't caught the gist yet, it's unclear how severe the attacks will be or if some of them will even unfold. Likewise, it's unknown whether recent high-profile arrests of alleged Anonymous members will hinder or embolden the group's efforts.

Permalink to story.

Future targets:

Police department in Bear Creek, Texas

Big Jim's Helicopter Tours in Kodiak, Alaska

Wilson's Hardware in Yazoo, Mississippi.

The "DL" second phone of the Albanian ambassador in Washington DC.

Eunice May Edelweiss, a 90 year old retiree in Syracuse. New York.

They are undecided whether they will DDoS the blog of "Euripides", who is known for his vocal disdain of My Little Pony.

gwailo247 said:

They are undecided whether they will DDoS the blog of "Euripides", who is known for his vocal disdain of My Little Pony.

Does that mean Anonymous is made up of bronies and he is a parasprite?

yRaz said:
gwailo247 said:

Do not knock it to you try it.

In my defense, I was a MLP fan from when the second episode first aired - all of those other poses can go get bent…

pinothyj said:

Do not knock it to you try it.

In my defense, I was a MLP fan from when the second episode first aired - all of those other poses can go get bent…

If you're going to be claiming all this Pony Cred, I trust you're referring to the second episode of the OG series back in the 1980s?

If these morons, who will make the Internet a living hell of security features do anything on September 11th, I'll hunt them down myself. If any of those so called hackers think they are anything , other than a 21st century criminal, they are amazingly ignorant. I'm sure they would love people to post all their dirty little secrets. If I was the government that's what I would do, just post everything, address, bills, all emails, put pictures up, everything, then I would throw them in a prison in turkey. They will make the Internet an impossible mess, the governments are going to create ways to track everything, nothing will go unchecked, just because a bunch of communists think they know how the world should be run, from their mommies basement no less.

A man who does not take responsibility for his actions, is no man at all. Your little children playing a game that you won't win, and you'll bring all of us down with you.

Thanks TechSpot for allowing anonymous-small-a comments!

So when is the US going to start drone strikes against Anonymous?

SERIOUSLY ANONYMOUS.
You aren't helping anyone. You are going to make things for us and on the internet MUCH, MUCH worse if you keep this up...
And SERIOUSLY GOVERNMENT.
ITS NOT THAT HARD. You have nearly UNLIMITED resources. You waste money on other stupid stuff, so why not use money for stuff that actually poses a threat?

ikesmasher said:
SERIOUSLY ANONYMOUS.
You aren't helping anyone. You are going to make things for us and on the internet MUCH, MUCH worse if you keep this up...

That is what is seriously annoying me. This whole Anon thing is going to have repercussions resulting in more stringent internet regulation and lord knows who else. I would much rather have to endure that in return for proof of how Goldman Sachs screwed over our economy, or shady dealing at the S&C, rather than some sex e-mails from the sheriff of BFE, Texas.

Guest said:
...just because a bunch of communists think they know how the world should be run, from their mommies basement no less.

I was with you till this point. They aren't communists. While yes, they are trying to show how the world should be run, they are showing that it should be free, where the simple man doesn't get screwed over by big brother and big companies. I agree with Anon's ideas, what I don't agree with are their actions. I don't think they are very tactful or even tasteful in their attacks.
Like with the sherrif's office. If I were apart of Anon, and I was involved (which I wouldn't be because I would have found no point behind something as small as this) I would have released the emails and the names...that's it. No need for their address, phone number, SS#, or anything else. All the public needs to know is "what's going on" and "who's behind it." All other info is irrelevant.

Typical revolutionist teenager attitudes... they think everything they do helps everyone and act like saviors after screwing everyone over. I'm not for corrupt corporations or governments, but I'm even less interested in seeing another tier of self-righteous morons telling people what to do.

Project Mayhem, is this straight from Fight Club? Guess Tyler Durden has now joined forces with Anonymous.

Its wonderful that our government shares information with reporters such as computer world but not with the rest of the industry. Where is the advisory NCCIC, DHS, NCSD? Advanced warning only to the media is BS.

question...

what if anonymous was something ochestred by some ppl with some agenda?

fear is a nice manipulation tool don't you think.

lets blindly trust thou who is leading us.......?

<let us control your internet...believe me you will be safer...*giggle*>

Back