How do i create an FTP site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy

Does anyone know how i create an FTP site from my home computer? its mainly jus gonna be used for me to transfer files between me and my mates computer who lives across town. ive never tried it before but know little HTML.

Frenzy said:
Does anyone know how i create an FTP site from my home computer? its mainly jus gonna be used for me to transfer files between me and my mates computer who lives across town. ive never tried it before but know little HTML.

You can download FTP programs but I have found them to be a pain to setup but useful once up and running, my fave is one called "Servu" and is relatively easy to set up. you dont need to know HTML to use it,

Alternatively I believe you can install IIS under Windows and run a webserver from home, I havent done this so cant advise but have heard it's quite tricky.

Lastly, You should have had assigned to you by your ISP what is called Webspace, (as an NTL customer in the UK I get 55megs of webspace) and to access you use a standard FTP client such as ACE FTP or similar.

Once you install the client you connect to the webspace and upload files in an explorer type environment, you can share the username and password between you and your friend for the purpose of sharing files, as the webspace is maintained by your ISP the security of it only falls on you to keep the username and password secure.

all windows systems come with FTP client.
this allows connections to FTP Servers (frequently known as FTPD).

a better choice is SSH as it supports both Telnet and FTP sessions.

In either case, you need to download the software and open your firewall
for port 20,21,22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back