How long are rewritable DVDs good for?

Jskid

Not sure if this is true but someone told me rewritable CDs die out after a year. Does this happen with DVDs? Does it matter how many times you have written to them?

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but you might find the results interesting anyway: Psuedo-scientific study of CD-R data longevity.

Basically I think if you treat them well and keep them out of the sun they should last at least 5 years. I don't think its unrealistic to expect 10 years. But, if the data is very important to you, having only one copy is bad practice.

Hi

Well I can give you a sure answer and it is "no", I've had rewritable CDs and DVDs for over 5 years and I've still been able to use them so they won't die out as long as you have never tried to burn anything on it before.

Well I can give you a sure answer and it is "no", I've had rewritable CDs and DVDs for over 5 years and I've still been able to use them so they won't die out as long as you have never tried to burn anything on it before.

Ya that's what I meant. I had a rewritable cd with an old backup and for some reason it no longer works. I tested it right after creation and about 5 years latter I tested it again and it was dead. I kept in a case but it may have over heated from the weather.

Back