How long should file transfers take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I just got a new NAS and am backing up my computer. I just wanted to know how long a 10Gb transfer should take over the network? I know there are many variables but am just curious as to how long you believe it should take. I have GB network but that I know has nothing to do with a NAS.
patriot pcnasvk35s2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822219003
It is connected directly to Ethernet 1GB switch. Nothing is wireless in the connection. It all goes through an AT&T router/modem from 2wire a 1702HG Gateway.

I have changed my mind. I will pay over $400 if need be to get a NAS that has some fast speed. Does the HP EX490 have fast file transfer speed? I don't know what the heck to do. I look at one article and it says a machine is fast the other says not. Would anyone be able to give me a good recommendation for a prebuilt one?

I will be using this for mainly backup purposes but along down the road maybe things will change but for now backup and a lot of it. Is Raid 1 an important issue or raid 5 or 10? If so I probably need to look for a 4 bay unit but for now I have decided a 2 bay should suffice which would allow me to raid 1 if all believe it is important.

I have these 3 that I have narrowed it down to.

Seagate Blackarmor 220

Iomega StorCenter ix2-200

Synology ds209+, no not the 209 or 209+II but the 209+ I have a chance for some that remain.

All of these are about the same price. Different tests show each at around the same speed. All are rated good.
What is your take on these? Thanks for your help.

Also, what about the QNAP TS-219P and the Thecus N3200? Does anyone know anything about any of these NAS machines?

As I continue to test the network speed I am truly baffled. My local area connection shows 1.0Gbps. The computer on the other end shows the same but when I go to download to the other computer I get speeds between 16-20 MB/s. I know there are many variables but holy cow. What can I do?

My problem is still that there seems to be a problem between my one computer running vista 64bit and windows xp pro on the other one. I have enabled jumbo frames and nothing changes. The computer is an AMD quad core computer 4400+. That should be able to handle what I was feeding it. I changed hdd and that did not make a difference except to give me my needed space for the computer I was needing. The gig lan is a built in lan to the mobod of the computer. I don't have a NAS yet as I tried one but it was not very good.

Would buying a pci lan card be the way to go for this computer as I will use it for alternative backups etc.

Could a new nic card in each computer maybe make a difference? The cards would be exactly the same. The one mobod is around 6 years old the other maybe 4. The lan that I have are on the mobod. Just a thought.

You have to look at all the links in the chain.. NIC's, Switch, cabling, termination, jacks, intererence (if any) etc. to see if one is causing a bottleneck. 16-20 MB/s sounds to me like the speed of a USB connection, not a gigabit LAN

This is what someone told me in another forum. What is true about this?

For 1Gbit LAN to work, you'll need GBLan adapters and cables (yes, these are different than
"Normal" CAT-5 cables) in all devices on your network, including switches & routers.

I did not think routers would affect it after it is hooked up to the switch.

My network goes like this. Internet in to a 2wire modem/router-----gig switch-----computer-- also from the gig switch------ to another switch in another room------ to another computer, bluray, denon 3808CI, NAS(soon).

Yes you do need gigabit NIC's and cables. Cat 5 cables are rated to 100mbps or 1/10th of what a gigabit LAN should be. The second switch is a bit of a bottleneck but not much. In order to eliminate that as the culprit, connect the cable that is going to the second switch directly to computer. Copy a large file (lets say 10gb) from computer to computer and time it. Again cables do make a difference. Cat 7 is the true gigabit rated cable. Cat6e is rated to 350mbps. Nevertheless using regular CAT 5 should give you the 16-20MB/s you were talking about. Also another thing is the MB/s is not the same as Mbps.. One is Megabytes (MB) and the other is Megabits (Mbps). There are 8 bits per byte. So 100Mbps is roughly equal to 12.5 MB/s, True gigabit speed 1000mbps is 125 MB/s, so a 1.25GB file should transfer in 10 seconds.. Check this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units

Cat 5e is rated in mhz not mbps as to what I know. Cat5e will do 1000mbps or a gig network easy. Cat 6 will be no faster it is just certified to do a gig where cat5e is not but it will do it. Use google to check speed and ratings of 5e.

I have already done that and connected the wire directly and there was not any difference at all.

I never said that the cables were rated at any specific mbps. I know they are rated in Mhz. If I said that Mbps I meant Mhz.Yes Cat5e is good enough for gigabit speeds but why are you not getting those speeds? They make the Cat 6 and now Cat 7 for a reason. Not all cables are made the same either. There is a difference between Belkin and Belden brands. One costs more for a reason. One is made in the USA and the other is made in China.. You make the choice. There is such a thing as crosstalk which is interference from one pair of cables to another pair and this affects performance. The higher grade of the cable the more twists there are in the pairs which reduces crosstalk. In any case you seem to be able to figure out your problem on your own, I was only making suggestions.,

I have a fairly high grade of cable used. This was recommended by an installer that does many high end jobs and this is what he suggested.
I know you were making suggestions and I appreciate every ounce of time you have given. I am going to get to new nics on the computers I have and start from there. Thanks.

One last thing... Are you sure you're NIC's are set to 1000 speed? Most are 10/100/1000 and may not default to 1000..

Where would I go to check that? I may be missing some setup that I did not know but I thought I hit. My computers say 1.0Gpbs.

I'm sorry am I missing something. My knowledge isnt extensive on this subject but you have a lot of hardware to bypass via transfers. Wouldnt the max read/transfer rate be limited to your storage hardware and its array.

I dont have a nas system, but I do have another pc I am using as a local server with 5Tb's of hdd space on it. Retrieving information from one of my slower disk. WD Caviar Green, sends information at about 40mbps and most of the time slower. Its because in any pc situation the hdd is infact the only part of the machine that has moving parts. So even if you have 1gb transfer speeds via gigabit lan the information will only move as fast as the thing its stored on. Just my general understanding.

What does this say about the lan on my computer?

Onboard LAN 2 - Realtek RTL8110SC - PCI Gigabit Ethernet controller
Is that saying it is a PCI onboard controller? Would that only give it pci speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back