How to avoid Electrostatic discharge (ESD)

abbasi

Hi all,

Using some tools like anti-static wrist strap we can avoid this ESD. But when we don't have any of those tools, as a scenario, one good work is touching the body of the power supply when it's not colored repeatedly to be the same ground with it.
OK. Please have a look at below images. I don't know the body of that power supply is colored or not so what can I do?
I think of two solutions:
1- I can touch that 3 jacks of the power supply (PS) which they are directly connected to the inside of the PS. Or,
2- Put a metal screw driver into the PS from its vents and hit some things in inside part and touch that screwdriver from out while it's attached to inside!

Which method do you agree with?
Thanks.

"America needs another Luther King."

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Definitely don't put anything into the PSU, no need for that.
The PSU is connected to the metal case of PC's with bolts, so any part of the case can be earthed to drain away static. You may need to scratch away some paint to find some clean metal, or use a bolt head.
Most important, unplug the pc from the mains before doing anything inside it, the capacitors in the PSU will hold up a high voltage for days even after you have switched it off.

Last edited:
Wear old cloths and work on old carpet, and you will be less likely to produce static!</badhumor>

Seriously though the PSU housing will always be grounded. I'm not sure why you would want to touch the PSU power input connector pins.

What are you talking about putting a screwdriver through the PSU vents? It would be a good method try if you like living on the edge and never want to use the PSU or any of your other components ever again otherwise stick to grounding yourself against a bare metallic object within your working area.
A method we used to use as young component level repair apprentices was to take a length of wire, strip both ends, tie one end around your wrist then put the other end in the wall outlet sockets earth, it's highly effective but I wouldn't suggest you try that either, not if you're willing to prod around in a PSU with a scredriver.

Last edited:
ESD is unrelated to and independent of the PSU, although since the PSU is (in terms of ESD) grounded to the case, touching the outside of the PSU is the same as touching the case.

Back