How to Bypass the Motherboard, to test Watercooling Loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeps1987

Hi,
i was wondering if and how it would be possible to bypass the motherboard, to test a water cooling loop, without the danger of the CPU overheating in case it doesn't work etc?

I came across this but is there a way i can do it, because it looks like its just one wire, so it cant be that complex can it? lol

thanks guys

That just allows you to connect the whole rig to the PSU directly so you don't need to power on the motherboard to turn it on. It's used mainly to test the watercooling setup outside the PC's casing, so you can check for any leaks etc.
As for your initial problem, how do you expect to monitor the load and idle temperatures if the motherboard doesn't have power? That is what you want to do, innit? If you do then IMO,test the rig with the mobo powered on, since if the CPU gets too hot, it'll automatically turn the PC off before any damage is possible.

Hey Moiz,
i dont want to test temps etc, i just want to check if my new waterblock leaks, outside my case, for 24 hours, during which the pc should not be on, as it wont be needed
i want to power up my watercooling without powering up anything else. How would i go about it?

I usually jump the PSU by using a small wire to create a short-circuit between a green and black connector on the 20+4 pin connector that plugs into the motherboard. That will start it without it being connected to the motherboard. But make sure you have rigged up the pump and other stuff to it before you start it otherwise you'll burn the PSU out.

Oh, and one more thing, only connect the PSU to the wall socket when you're ready to start it up. Might be obvious but I just thought I'd warn you in advance.

When you jump it, if the PSU is connected to the wall socket and the socket switch is off, there is a chance that the PSU might still start up.

oh i understand now, yeah no probs, i always disconnect my pc from the mains when im not using it, and only connect it when i need it.

How much RAM can 64Bit XP take and 64Bit Vista?

XP Professional x64 supports 128GB of RAM, while in Vista x64, Home Basic and Home Premium have an 8GB and 16GB RAM limit respectively and all the other versions are limited to 128GB.

lol did you just say 128GB? yet Vista only supports 8GB?

so technically i could have 4GB RAM and 2 X2900 XT's with 1GB GDDR RAM, which totals at 6GB Total system RAM in XP Pro 64 and Vista Home Premium 64?

lol wow that's crazy. So Vista Ultimate X64 will support 128GB or total system RAM. that's not even possible though, normal ATX Motherboards only support up to 16GB plus say 4 GB Video RAM, that's 20GB which is still a lot.

I guess 128GB comes in useful for servers

It's basically to provide headrom so you don't need tp upgrade very soon to a 128-bit OS to run your Q12700 16-core, 256GB rig LOL. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back