How to increase FPS?

akevilj

Hello everyone ! I have a question.

When i start a game in a Starcraft 2, after 15-30 minutes, depends on a map, my FPS is very very low (1-5) and its almost unplayable.

My sistem configuration is:
AMD Athlon processor 3200+ 2.00 GHz
3 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128 bit

I have windows 7
I've set my virtual memory to 5300 MB
Visual effects are all turned off, for best performance
My processes are set to minimmum (around 7 processes active when i start game)

I think i've done everything I can (besides buying a new hardware) to run the game as smooth as possible and even after that it still isnt good, it's almost unplayable....

If you could give me an advice on what to do depending on this situation, can I do anything more except buying new hardware, and if I cant, then what should i buy ? new card ? new processor ? more RAM ?
If you think i should buy something pls tell me what is cheapest and therefore best solution....

Here is link for system requirements for Starcraft 2

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=26242&locale=en_US

Thank you :)

these are information I can tell you about my motherboard that I copied from program called: CPU-ID

Motherboard
Model: NF4-INF
Chipset: Nvidia - nForce4
Southbridge: Nvidia - nForce4 MCP
LPCIO: ITE - IT8712

BIOS
Phoenix technologies, LTD
version: 6.00 PG
Date: 8/11/2005

Clocks (Core #0)
this is changing every few seconds
Core speed: 1004.7 MHz -1004.6 MHz (sometimes it jumps on 1333 or even 1800 for only a second and then i comes back to 1004.7)
Multiplier: x5 (sometimes it jumps on x9 for a second)
Bus speed: 200.9 MHz
Ht Link: 1004.7 MHz

cache
L1 data: 64 KBytes - 2 way
L1 inst: 63 KBytes - 2 way
level 2: 512 Kbytes - 16 way

BTW i dont know anything about overclooking.... i've only heard for it so if you need some other information to determine if overclooking is possible or not, tell me.

And thank you for trying to help me !

I checked the system requirements for Starcraft 2 and it looks like you're right at the bare minimum. So in the end you may need to upgrade some components, however it wouldn't hurt to see if you can get a decent stable overclock.

First, need to know for sure if the picture below is indeed your motherboard... if so it sounds like you have a DFI Infinity NF4 Standard.

image.php

Next we will need to determine if the Bios for this motherboard can modify the Cpu multiplier or if the overclock will be done solely through increasing the bus frequency. A combination of raising the Cpu multi and the bus speed can often yield the best (most stable) overclocking results.

About done for the night but will check back in tomorrow.

I checked the system requirements for Starcraft 2 and it looks like you're right at the bare minimum. So in the end you may need to upgrade some components, however it wouldn't hurt to see if you can get a decent stable overclock.

First, need to know for sure if the picture below is indeed your motherboard... if so it sounds like you have a DFI Infinity NF4 Standard.

image.php

Next we will need to determine if the Bios for this motherboard can modify the Cpu multiplier or if the overclock will be done solely through increasing the bus frequency. A combination of raising the Cpu multi and the bus speed can often yield the best (most stable) overclocking results.

About done for the night but will check back in tomorrow.

Yes I am 80 % sure that this is my MOBO.... its kinda to late to open it now to be 100 % sure, i will open it tomorrow but as I sad i think that is how it looked like when i opened it some time ago :D

here are some more information which i have no idea will help or not :D

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 08/11/2005-NF4-INF-6A61FD49C-00
Motherboard Name DFI nF4 Series
Company Name DFI Corporation

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type: AMD Hammer
Real Clock: 200 MHz
Effective Clock: 200 MHz
HyperTransport Clock: 1000 MHz

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type: DDR SDRAM
Bus Width: 64-bit
DRAM:FSB Ratio: CPU/20
Real Clock: 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock: 201 MHz
Bandwidth: 1607 MB/s

And I also found this:
"Suggestion: System BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary."
"Suggestion Video BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary."

actually its more than 6 years old :D
do I really need to update it ?

Good info, no need to update the Bios if your system is running normally or unless there is some specific functionality you need to add.

Here are some links for reviews on the DFI Infinity series motherboard and the Athlon 3200+ ... please check to see if the Bios screens match yours.

HardCoreWare Motherboard Review

LegitReviews Motherboard Review

Neoseeker Motherboard Review

XbitLabs Athlon 3200+ Review

I should point out that there is a element of risk associated with overclocking, especially if you get carried away with voltages and fail to monitor temperatures, just want to be sure that you are comfortable with that before proceeding. Really not out for a screaming hair on fire overclock, think it best to start by seeing what can be achieved on stock voltages and then making small incremental bumps.

Think the link to Legit Reviews is for the Ultra and has snapshots of the key Bios screens, should be close enough.

I've looked at my Bios and its same as on these pictures, but values are different....
what should i do now :D ? Change my values as those on the pictures ?

Probably best to see if you can change the CPU Frequency for starters, generally better to only change one thing at a time to begin with. Take it step by step and keep notes, that will come in handy later. You need something to test stability for each change, I still like 3dMark06 for initial testing. If you're able to change the CPU Frequency then we know you have an unlocked multiplier on your CPU.

So basically, bump frequency then run 3dMark06 ... then repeat one bump at time, for now leave voltages alone. At some point you'll fail to boot or will start getting BSODs. Back down one notch on the CPU Frequency and retest ... this sets your high point for the multiplier on stock voltage.

Once that is known you will want to find out your maximum front side bus speed, I think the Hammer fid control entry allows you change the FSB. Have never used a DFI board so you'll want to double check me on that ... think I saw that in one of the reviews.

Think you're headed in the right direction, have fun :)

Probably best to see if you can change the CPU Frequency for starters, generally better to only change one thing at a time to begin with. Take it step by step and keep notes, that will come in handy later. You need something to test stability for each change, I still like 3dMark06 for initial testing. If you're able to change the CPU Frequency then we know you have an unlocked multiplier on your CPU.

So basically, bump frequency then run 3dMark06 ... then repeat one bump at time, for now leave voltages alone. At some point you'll fail to boot or will start getting BSODs. Back down one notch on the CPU Frequency and retest ... this sets your high point for the multiplier on stock voltage.

Once that is known you will want to find out your maximum front side bus speed, I think the Hammer fid control entry allows you change the FSB. Have never used a DFI board so you'll want to double check me on that ... think I saw that in one of the reviews.

Think you're headed in the right direction, have fun :)

Ok, i'll start with bumping CPU frequency first as you sad.... but....
Now its set to default. What value i should pick first ? it scales from 201 to 450 Mhz.... Should i go for the lowest first (201) or ?

and how often should i change up value in CPU frequency ? do I need to make a brake between CPU freq changes or can I change them like every few minutes, after every test i make ?

thank you very much for helping me man, I am very grateful

EDIT:
I just did a test before i did any changes and results were awful

graphics test
GT1 - Return To Proxycon 3,314 FPS
GT2 - Firefly Forest 3,085 FPS

HDR1 - Canyon Flight 3,795 FPS
HDR2 - Deep Freeze 6,301 FPS

on graphics tests... green and violet colours were poping up on screen, I think it's called Artifatcs, right ? had them all over my screen, it was hurting my eyes rly bad.... I had that problem before when I ran games on higher resolution and high graphics settings...

CPU test
CPU1 - Red Valley 0,234 FPS
CPU2 - Red Valley 0,374 FPS

While CPU test FPS was constantly on "0" and every 2 seconds 1 frame changed..... very bad...

some more informations:

3DMark Score 1182 3DMarks
SM2.0 Score 384
HDR/SM3.0 Score 505
CPU Score 740

Internal Clock 1047 MHz
Internal Clock Maximum 2009 MHz
External Clock 201 MHz

Back