How to resize the Windows partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty9231

Hi,

Just to be clear: I have searched the internet for similar problems, and found a lot. However none of them had an answer to my exact problem.

Which is:

My Windows partition (the first of 6 partitions) is way to small. I tried to resize it with EASEUS Partition Master 4.0, but I couldn't resize the top partition. I think that is because I couldn't get "unallocated space" above or underneath there.

My question:

Is there a way to resize that partition, if necessary with a bootable dvd (without formatting the partitions!)?

FYI, my OS is MS Windows Vista Ultimate x64..

Marty

You shouldn't require special software to do this, it can be done within Windows.
Not sure if you tried this at all, but here it goes,

Open 'start menu' and under 'computer', click 'manage'
In the left pane, open up the Storage category and click on Disk Management.
Right click on the partition be to modified.
Click on Extend Volume or Shrink Volume to extend or shrink the selected partition.

Hi,

I didn't try that, however when I do, I don't get the 'extend volume' option when I right click my windows partition.
Is there any way to work around that?

I figured that would happen, I think what strategic said only applies in Windows Vista/7.

Well Marty9231 had it right but if you cant choose extend portion then that normally means that there is either part of windows stored on it or nothing to move to it. Maybe you shoudl post a picture with your manage windows up let me see it.

Hey, thank you all for the replies. I figured out, with a bit of trial-and-error, that EASEUS had a special 'system partition' resize function. I now have succesfully added 10GB to it.

Thanks again
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back