How to save lots of Outlook emails into a different folder not in Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

An older cousin of mine using IE & Outlook is contemplating switching to Firefox and Yahoo when she finally gets DSL and switches ISPs to do so.

Says she has lots of emails in Outlook she'd want to save. She has XP.

I think the best would be for her to save them in a folder on her machine rather than transferring to i.e. Yahoo email, but not sure what she's thinking along those lines right now.

Any way to export them out of Outlook into a non-Outlook folder
without having to do them 1 at a time? I've got Outlook at work, but
lots of functions are disabled for non-Admin's, so don't dare try too
many things. Have seen in FILE, FOLDER the "copy inbox" thing,
also in FILE, FOLDER the "Export" option - would any of those work?
She's a very basic user so it would have to something simple I could walk her
thru over the phone.

Thanks for any tips!

In MS Outlook, (Outlook Express is different) select file "import & Export" export to file. there are several options. If you choose to create a .pst or comma separated value Windows file, these files can be read by Outlook Express... You can do this for Outlook contacts, inbox and any other folders created in Outlook. Your friend can print out and save any email messages she really needs to keep, and dump the rest

Not being all that familiar with Outlook, I didn't know that Express would be different - I think that's maybe what she has. Could you enlighten me on what she could do there?

I'm fairly sure she'd want to save them electronically - is there a way she could create folder on her computer and export them all into it? I do know she has quite a few.
Something other than one at a time.

Thanks again!

Are these emails already downloaded to the Outlook Express email client? Changing ISPs won't cause her old emails to disappear. You delete the old account and configure a new account with the new POP and SMTP addresses and continue life as usual. All the old emails should be unaffected.

Edit: If you will be using Yahoo as webmail only and not downloading to the OE client, then the old emails will still be there.

The Outlook Express email messages are encoded, so you can't just stick them in a folder for later viewing. As Mailpup said, the messages will not be deleted, if you start using Yahoo Mail.

GMail is a much better webmail program and has great spam control... Yahoo Mail suffers from not having good spam control at all

You would need the Yahoo Plus mail service (paid) in order to be able to use outlook or outlook express for that yahoo account. I dont know if yahoo webmail gives you the capability to import email messages from outlook. I think there is some functionality regarding the address book not sure about the email messages. If her old email and her new email are on different accounts you could always just email them the old fashioned way from one account to another.

If she could still access her Outlook Express email account after changing ISP's, irregardless if whether she switches to Yahoo or Gmail, I would believe she'd just
leave them in there.

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to with her Outlook Express emails "downloaded to email client"? It's just a regular individual email inbox in Outlook Express where she gets her email. Is it webmail like Yahoo etc, and so that's why
she can go into it from any ISP using any browser?

I want to be real sure of this so she doesn't lose all her saved emails that are in Outlook Express when she switches ISP's and whether or not she goes to a different email such as Yahoo or Gmail.

Thanks

The emails that are already in Outlook Express (the email client program) have been downloaded from the ISPs mail servers. That's all I mean. Web based email services can be accessed from any internet connected PC or other device. Usually, even emails that are downloaded into Outlook Express can be accessed on the web. You can sometimes chose to leave copies on the web even after downloading.

Most ISPs have their own email setups so she will get a new email address when she signs up with the new ISP. Conversely, when she closes her old ISP account her old email address will probably be deleted but there are exceptions. But the emails she already has in Outlook Express will remain there.

I myself have changed ISPs a time or two. I've never lost any emails in Outlook Express because of it. Once it's in your computer, it's in your computer. Outlook Express comes with Windows not the ISP. I'm transitioning my dad's computer from a dial up ISP to a DSL account. We haven't had time to close the dial up yet. Both happen to use Gmail and both download their email to his Outlook Express every time he opens it.

OK, let's see if I understand this correctly. Thanks for bearing with me.

In Outlook Express, the emails are actually in the computer, not in any webmail
server elsewhere? So as long as she keeps the same computer, irregardless of the
ISP etc, the emails are still accessible? Conversely, if she were to go to a different
machine, then the emails would not be accessible b ecuz they'd still be in the old machine?

Yes to all three of your questions.

However, in question #1 it is sometimes possible to save emails in the web server even after it has been downloaded to Outlook Express. It depends on the features offered by the email service. Some allow it, some don't. In question #3, it is possible to copy the old emails to the new machine.

It all depends on your email service as to whether the emails are on the server or on your computer. If you use anything other than the public email servers (gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc) your email messages will reside on your local computer within OE (by default) unless you tell OE to leave the messages on the server. When you use a public server your messages will reside on your local computer AND the server. Not until you delete will they actually delete the messages on both the PC and server. There may be exceptions to this but I hope this clears things up a bit at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back