HP announces a 27-inch 5K display alongside six other monitors

Scorpus

Staff member

At CES 2015, HP has announced a whopping seven monitors, including a brand new flagship 27-inch model with a monster 5K (5120 x 2880) resolution that matches the latest Retina iMac.

Said flagship model is the HP Z27q, which comes with a 10-bit IPS display with 99% coverage of the Adobe RGB gamut. There's four USB 3.0 ports on-board, and the display is driven via two DisplayPort 1.2 connectors. Perhaps the best aspect of the Z27q, though, is the price, with HP selling it for just $1,299.99: significantly less than Dell's 5K UltraSharp panel.

Two of the other monitors announced today - the Z24s and Z27s - are 23.6- and 27-inch IPS Ultra HD models respectively that cover the sRGB spectrum. Both come with tilt, pivot, swivel and height adjustable stands, and both support multiple inputs including HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2. The Z24s will retail for $549 while the larger Z27s will set you back $749.

Three other displays are curved. The HP Pavilion 27c Curved Display is a 27-inch 1080p VA monitor with a gentle curve, flanked by two four-watt speakers, retailing for $400. The EliteDisplay 270c is also a curved 27-inch 1080p model, but with a better IPS display and currently no price tag. The final curved display is the 34-inch Z34c, which features an ultra-wide 3440 x 1440 resolution VA panel with two six-watt speakers and a $999 price tag.

hp display monitor curved display 5k ces 2015

The final display announced by HP is the Zvr 23.6" Virtual Reality Display. Targeted at commercial users, the display tracks head movements and creates real-time 3D experiences enhanced by 3D glasses. Although the monitor currently has no price, we do know it features a 1080p TN panel as well as DVI and DisplayPort inputs.

Permalink to story.

As someone who likes to play 3D first person shooters with maximum details and high FPS on a large monitor, one day soon I'd like to say goodbye and good riddance to all the anti-aliasing kludges ever invented.

Edit: I think nvidia, amd and every game developer would like that, too.

Last edited:
It's really stupid this doesn't allow for the use of ONE DP 1.3. AMD's next cards will undoubtedly support it and be out within half a year.

It's really stupid this doesn't allow for the use of ONE DP 1.3. AMD's next cards will undoubtedly support it and be out within half a year.
Naturally everything starts at a source and moves in the direction of a destination. How could you consider a monitor as a source? There is an age old expression about putting the cart before the horse.

As someone who likes to play 3D first person shooters with maximum details and high FPS on a large monitor, one day soon I'd like to say goodbye and good riddance to all the anti-aliasing kludges ever invented.

Edit: I think nvidia, amd and every game developer would like that, too.

Remember though refresh rates (redraw to be correct on lcd) are something you need to talk note of aswell. If these screens are 60hz then you don't want to waste your money and a high chance I bet they are. I reckon it will be atleast 5 years before we see 4K or greater with 120Hz or higher appearing on the market. At the moment there is no single GPU that can comfortably handle 4K @ 60Hz (even sli struggles), we are a long way off 120Hz, 144Hz or even by then 200Hz.

On a side note Acer have announced a 2K 144Hz 27" IPS Panel which though lower resolution is in a way a better screen then all of these.

Well it's not stupid at all because

a) it was only just released at the back end of last year and hasn't yet received full certification so chances are hard manufacturers won't include it on current hardware.

b) why do you need it, the monitor can display its refresh rates and resolutions on the supplied display port. Increasing this to a new version just overkill and pointless.

c) I reckon it will be atleast 12 months before any gpu manufacturer are adding dp 1.3 to cards. All the cards are currently way to slow to push the required frame data so again 1.3 is overkill. It would be like increasing the speed of a motorway to 500mph but only allowing cars on their that can't exceed 50.

Back