HP CEO Meg Whitman says Chromebooks are doing better than expected

Jos

Staff

Microsoft’s recent marketing efforts have focused on how Chromebooks are not real laptops because they don’t have Windows or Office, how they are supposedly useless when offline, and how they just make it easier for Google to capture your personal information. The software giant says you are basically getting “Scroogled” when buying one of these but, if anything, the bashing suggest it sees the web-centric OS as a threat. And rightly so.

Speaking at a technology conference this week, Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman said she is surprised by the appeal of Chromebooks, not just in the education market but for small and mid-sized businesses as well. Even large enterprises are expressing interest. The findings, Whitman claims, validate HP’s multi-OS, multi-architecture, multi-form factor strategy and they intend to continue on that path going forward.

"There are some groups [who] do not need Windows backward compatibility in their laptop," she said.

Google's share of the traditional PC market is tiny and unlikely to overtake Windows for years to come. Only 2.5 million laptops powered by Google's operating system were shipped last year according to IDC, totaling about 1% of global PC sales. But the mere fact that Chromebooks are one of the fastest growing segments in an otherwise stagnant market is reason enough for Microsoft to worry.

Not only do they threaten its business on a few different levels -- from its Office cash cow to online advertising -- pretty much all of Microsoft's biggest hardware partners have jumped on the Chromebook bandwagon, a sign that they might be slowly moving away from a years-long dependence on Redmond’s software.

Windows still dominates the PC market with a ~90% share of the OS install base, and there are some segments that aren’t going anywhere anytime soon -- enthusiasts and PC gamers, for instance. But Microsoft might have a hard time retaining casual users who ‘live’ on the web and now have access to a range of supplementary devices like smartphones and tablets. Windows 8 certainly hasn’t done much to pep up interest on the platform.

Permalink to story.

Windows still dominates the PC market with a ~90% share of the OS install base, and there are some segments that aren’t going anywhere anytime soon -- enthusiasts and PC gamers, for instance. But Microsoft might have a hard time retaining casual users who ‘live’ on the web and now have access to a range of supplementary devices like smartphones and tablets.
Enthusiasts, PC Gamers... oh and students and businesses.

This statement implies that a Chromebook could replace a primary PC, and I don't think it can. I think a Chromebook is more an alternative to a tablet than to a laptop or PC. It's true that MS is missing out on this market, but I don't think it threatens their current business very much.

If the hot PC games were all available on another OS, you'd be amazed how quickly gamers would leave Windows behind. Valve certainly knows this.

If the hot PC games were all available on another OS, you'd be amazed how quickly gamers would leave Windows behind. Valve certainly knows this.

Not just games... but all the other programs that us pc gamers/computer enthusiasts enjoy as well. Some still only available on Windows platform.

On the article, not much to expect when you already have extremely low expectations. Why would anyone want a Chromebook at this point, unless price is really, really low

I think there are many, if not more applications that power users rely on that are native to linux rather than windows. This especially seems to be the case as we add more 'internet of things' devices to our homes.

As for Chromebooks, I've thought about getting one for my mom as a low-cost laptop. There's also something appealing about their minimalist UX.

Now if Google ever found a way to bridge the gap b/t Chrome OS and Android, opening up the Play store to Chromebook users... *that* could revolutionize things.

Microsoft can ridicule Chromebooks all they want but they're not doing themselves any favors with Win 8. Nokia's CEO said he'd get rid of XBox And Bing in a heartbeat if he were in charge of MS because they are nothing more than distractions and I'd have to agree with him. Instead of belittling other OS's MS would be far better served concentrating on their own.

I wonder if Chrome OS will eventually die like other stuff that came from Google and just disappeared?

I think a Chromebook is more an alternative to a tablet than to a laptop or PC.

Exactly, it's basically got only the functions of a tablet, but in a laptop form factor.

I think a Chromebook is more an alternative to a tablet than to a laptop or PC.

Exactly, it's basically got only the functions of a tablet, but in a laptop form factor.

Not to mention you can use Chromeapps on Windows 8.1if you install the Chrome browser. I really don't understand why anyone would buy one. There's Winodws 8 laptops in the same price range.

This statement implies that a Chromebook could replace a primary PC, and I don't think it can.

I was skeptical about that as well, but it turns out it can replace a primary PC - it all depends on who the user of said PC is. We (the tech-centric folk who slog through sites like this) tend to forget that we are not the average user, and are a very small percentage of the total PC users in the world. If all a user does is surf, do some basic office work (word processing, maybe a spreadsheet), and light or casual gaming... A Chromebook could very well fill their need for a primary PC.

Look at tablets, and how many people have completely shifted from a laptop to a pad for their daily work/life. Nobody believed that an iPad could provide enough to allow someone to forego their computers. I mean, after all, the iPad is just a toy, just a stretched iPod Touch or iPhone, it's not to be taken seriously as a business tool, it's just a fad... How many times did we hear that when it first came out? The Chromebook fits in a weird category that hovers in purgatory between tablets and low end laptops, and overlaps both of those demographics enough that it is appealing to a growing audience.

I just picked up a chromebook and I'm pretty impressed by it. not only is it light weight and nice looking, it does a lot more than I expected it do with add-ons, even though I only use it as a casual internet source during working hours. it doesn't replace anything I already have, it's more of an extension of what I can do while I'm not planted at my desktop. I was always anti google and it's spyware junk rhetoric, but at least they don't deny it. google does make some nice sht no matter how much you dislike them. I've accepted what they do and how they do it. if you don't own a chromebook or use google services your comments are pretty much useless.

People still buy shiat from them? I don't care what OS you choose, HP laptops break after two years.
/Ebay is flooded with HP motherboards and repair service

Personally, I have hands-on experience with Chromebooks everyday. Will this replace my normal PC that I use for gaming, video/audio editing, etc.? Hell no, this has never and will never be what Chromebooks are for. That being said, it is a wonderful companion tool and I would much rather use it over an equivalently priced Windows based laptop. A lot of people miss what I think is one of the main selling points of a Chromebook; the ability (and ease) of taking what productivity you do on one device and seamlessly continuing the same work on another device with little or no 3rd party hardware or software required (depending on what OS ecosystem you live in).

A lot of the problems with Windows based PCs/Laptops (Especially in the business/enterprise sector) is that you lose 90% of the productivity the second you get up and leave your desk. Granted, Microsoft has come leaps and bounds with this (via cloud services, Office 360 etc.), but for me, the ease and convenience of using Google Drive/Docs has been fantastic. It's great being able to do work on the Chromebook, get up and go to another room and still have uninterrupted access to whatever I was doing via my phone, my PC, my tablet, and pretty much any other device under the sun with just a few clicks/taps on the screen.

docbillingsley said:
I think there are many, if not more applications that power users rely on that are native to linux rather than windows.

If you mean FOSS applications available on Linux , then they don't count since they are vastly inferior to proprietary counterparts. Real power users use proprietary software, many of which are native to Windows. That's why Windows is an OS of choice for power users.

Am I surprised? Not really! I don't believe we've seen, "the lowest common denominator", of PC buyers yet. "Emerging markets", and all that rot.

Back