HP Pavilion dv9000t webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a Pavilion dv9000t recently with Vista Ultimate and decided to run it on XP Pro until Vista becomes more useful. Figured out that I needed to disable the native SATA support in the and BIOS and installed XP Pro. I am going to add a second 100GB 7200 rpm SATA drive to the system shortly.

Everything is working well except for the webcam. It simply doesn't work. In the device manager, it shows up as "USB Video device" instead of "HP Webcam 1000." I see a "USB Video Device" in "My Computer" but when I double click on it, I am told: "Creation of video preview failed. Please check the device connection and make sure that the device is not being used by another application or user." When I try to use the webcam with Skype or other programs, I am told that webcam is not connected. By the way, the webcam did work, sort of, when I tested it with Vista. I say sort of because I made a recording and the recording quality was BAD.

I have tried to install the XP driver for webcam from HP's website (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3224058&os=228&lang=en) but that didn't do anything.

Thanks for any helpful ideas.

and are u sure u have the right drivers for winxp?because that is your problem.am however abit confused why u have to disable your sata?explain please.Robin

Actually I have a Pavillion dv6000 and have run in to the same problems. I had to disable the SATA function on the Bios and my webcam has never worked in XP Pro. The drivers are the correct ones as offered from the HP site. Going into the properties of the "USB Video Device" I can run a test on the camera with successfull results. but when trying to access it from anywhere it just does not work.

Install the webcam drivers for vista!

Sorry got cut off by my boss. To get this problem resolved you will have to install the Vista drivers of the webcam on your XP Pro version. The installation goes through with 2 or three error messages about the drivers not passing authentication, but everything seems to work just fine after that.

THANK YOU! I installed the Vista drivers and now my webcam works. Haven't tested it fully, but seems to be working fine.

HP Pavilion & Vista Woes

I also have a Hp laptop DV9010. I had to use the restore disks that came with it and had this wierd program FBI GUI running in the background and the computer would restart time and time again... I disabled the "restart on system failure" to no avail. I restored the computer 3 more times with the same results. So after 3 hours chatting online with a tech obviously using a script to answer my questions they sent me another set of restore disks and... the same thing happens. So no I have installed XP Pro and I cannot get the webcam to work and my built in wireless internet will not work. If someone could please give me the links to the correct drivers to make these two items work, I would be soooo grateful. I am S I C K of looking at HP's website!

I'm installing the SATA drivers now

So far, the text mode XP64 is moving along with a format. I poked around enough and went belly up on HPs site. My Pavilion dv9000t has an updated BIOS, and they've removed the option to disable SATA. Even with that option, I'm not sure I'd want that because of a probable performance hit.

This is Intel's URL with the floppy based drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/con...01&DwnldId=13809&strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng

There's about a dozen or so SATA drivers on the floppy when it gets created. I ruled out all of the desktop and RAID SATA drivers. That left me with about 5 to guess from. I hit the right one on the 4th, but I can't recall the exact name or I'd post it.

I am not past the formatting of the hard drive yet, so I don't know how XP will progress @ the GUI installation.

I hope that helps someone else along the way.

Hi,
I had a problem with my HP Pavillon dv900 webcam. With Microsoft Vista. The webcam time to time just was not working. Then again it was working. And then again nothing. So I am searching for the reason...

Hi again,
got the webcam working!!! Trying to copy here the links I've used, but somehow it does not happen. Will try and keep you posted.

I will post the solution in my next message.
I got HP online assistance, this is the chat session with them.
If you will follow all what it says here, webcam should work. At least for us it works now! Check my next message!

So here is the solution! Good luck!!!

Thank you for your recent use of HP Real-time Chat Support. For your
records, we have provided a complete transcript of your chat session
below.

NOTE: Please do not reply to this automatically generated message.

Chat Transcript Begins Here
--------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion Notebooks . My name is Leslie. How
may I help you today?

hello leslie,

i have a problem with my webcam

i bought the laptop 1 week ago

and the webcam didn't work properly (just 30 %).

I understand that you are unable to use the Webcam in Vista.

Am I right?

Yep

Thank you for confirming the same.

Have you checked if Webcam is working in HP quickplay?

sometimes, just sometimes

i cannot see the blue light for webcam

Let us open the Device manager using the below steps:

1. Click on start and click on Control panel.

2. Click on "the Classic View" on the top left side of the control panel.

3. Double click on the "Device Manager" icon in the list.

4. Click on + next to the Imaging devices.

ok

May I know the name of the device listed?

May I know the device listed under Imaging device.

imaging devices

HP Webcam

just HP Webcam

Right clcik on HP webcam and un-install it.

ok

i think that it's done

no Imaging devices in the list anymore

Here is the link to download the Latest drivers for the Webcam. Please
Save the files on the Desktop. Do not install this file right away. We
need to install it after restating the notebook.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34501-35000/sp34746.exe

Note: Please do not click on the above link. Select the above link from
?ftp? upto ?sp3476.exe?. Use Ctrl key and C key to Copy the link. Now open
A new internet explorer page and paste the link in address bar and hit
enter. Then it will prompt you to save or Run. Click on Save and Save the
file on the Desktop.

And download and install the below two files. These are essential updates
for Vista which enables the webcam in vista.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36128.exe

Please do not click on the link instead, Just copy and paste the entire
link onto the address bar of your browser and press enter.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36935.exe

Please do not click on the link instead, Just copy and paste the entire
link onto the address bar of your browser and press enter.

After installing the above file restart the notebook (laptop).

Please let me know if you are downloading the above file.

While you downloading the above driver, I would like to tell you the
remaining steps to resolve this issue.

wait a minute please

Sure, I am with you.

Do not restart the notebook if you are chatting with me from the same
notebook.

Let me send a copy of this chat transcript to your e-mail address after we
end this chat session, this is to avoid any paperwork on your end.

Perfrom the above steps and incase the issue perist please come back to
us.

I hope this information is clear and helpfull to you.

Put all 3 .exe files on desktop. Vista is so clever that it installs automatically the main driver (the one with the end 46.exe): do not reinstall this one. Only the last 2 to install for updating vista. Restart the laptop and it works. The name Of HP webcam will be changed to USB video device.

Good Luck

Installing the Vista drivers definitely worked for me on my dv6000. Vista SP1 made my machine not boot, so I decided to take the 'opportunity' to upgrade to XP Pro. The webcam was the only thing I hadn't gotten working. (The HP XP drivers don't work.)
The Vista drivers solved the problem instantly!

Hp dv9000 webcam issue

8:48 AM 9/19/2008

REF: HP DV9000 WEBCAM ISSUE

To make the webcam work with XP. Download these drivers from the HP site choosing VISTA as the operating system. That is correct; choose Vista even though you have XP on it. Since the webcam worked in Vista but not XP, the forced conclusions were to barrow the Vista drivers and test it. It worked well and from that it solved the last and most irritating problem of the XP remake.

Load all these drivers. I use Firefox, so when I was at the HP driver page for the HP dv9000 with Vista, I used the "find in this page" for "web" which led me to these drivers. I did the Hail Mary pass and installed all three.

1. HP Webcam Driver with Firmware Upgrade for Microsoft Windows Vista

2. Webcam Fast Recording Patch

3. HP QuickPlay Web Update

Note: The XP version of webcam drivers did not work even though all hardware devices were showing enabled.

Cheers. Payback4u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back