Hundreds of Spotify user details appear online, but site denies it was hacked

midian182

Staff member

The last few days have brought news of two major data leaks involving millions of people’s personal details, but unless you’re a registered Mexican voter or a member of a dating site reserved for beautiful people, you’re unlikely to have been affected. However, news of another possible data breach has just been uncovered, and this time, the leaked information comes from Spotify.

TechCrunch has reported that several hundred user credentials, including passwords, usernames, and emails, have been posted on Pastebin. There appear to be no real names or payment details in the leaked information, which comes from Spotify users across the world.

Strangely, the music streaming service has emphatically denied that it has been hacked. In a statement to TechCrunch, it said:

Spotify has not been hacked and our user records are secure. We monitor Pastebin and other sites regularly. When we find Spotify credentials, we first verify that they are authentic, and if they are, we immediately notify affected users to change their passwords.

Despite’s Spotify’s assurances, the leaked data contains several details unique to the service, such as subscription renewal dates and account types. Moreover, a number of users are reporting that their accounts have been compromised.

Some victims received messages from Spotify informing them that their emails and passwords had been reset, other users have reported finding new songs on their playlists, and one person discovered someone else was using his account in another location.

“I suspected my account had been hacked last week as I saw ‘recently played’ songs that I’d never listened to, so I changed my password and logged out of all devices,” an anonymous victim, told TechCrunch

There have even been reports of accounts that use the same Spotify login credentials being hacked, including Uber, Skype, Facebook, and bank accounts.

Spotify has had some of its user data dumped online in the past, the most recent incident taking place in February. While it’s possible that these could be linked to today’s discovery, members say they have only recently experienced problems with their accounts.

Spotify hasn’t given any updated statements, but users may want to consider changing their passwords.

Permalink to story.

F this Spotify guys, around two weeks ago I go into it to listen something and all my playlists have been erased and some newer ones were created, contacted support to know what the freak happened and they asked me for my last credit card numbers to verify I'm the owner after which I flipped out and torn them a new eject hole, that mother freaking information was being shown to whom ever got into my account. Since then I removed my payment information and cancelled the account.

Now I'll reply with this for them to elaborate... the support is awful they gave me no real answer and all there was left for them was to put it on me, they knew better than doing that though.

Back