I ask you this in order to have your advice.

Rick

Staff
I really hate recieving a number of these viruses each week:

Nimda
SirCam
BadTrans

While I hate them fairly equally, if I had a preference for hating, it would be in that order.

What firewall are you using? BlackICE Defender is known to let some viri and trojans through. Consider getting ZoneAlarm, the free version is very effective. Do you surf the IRC channels frequently? You could be getting them from there. Do you know where you're getting them from?

We would be honored. if you would join us...

Yes, I got a recent spate of all that BS again.

I also got another one which was from someone that I know (well, pretending to be anyway) talking about a party, and saying that there was an attached picture.

Now, funnily enough, I HAD been at a party with this person. And I did open the attachment...

...which of course was infected with a virus.

Hmmmmmmmm....:blackeye:

well Norton Antivirus caught my latest BadTrans and quarentined it for me before it could do anything. "LordHell" sent me this wonderful virus and as much as I hate Symantec product, Norton Anti-Virus pulled through for me.

You think comming here was a bad idea? I'm beginning to agree with you....

Currently using Network Associates... Catches most nasty code out there, updates are available pretty much every day, sometimes every hour...

Its the workstation version I have, so it doesn't install on Advanced Server. We have the server version at work, but it keep crashing now and again.... Anyone any suggestions for something better for the server??

Agreed.

Originally posted by Bobes
I use the best firewall available - common sense. I don't open anything suspicious.

I agree. There's a lot of people out there who seem to be a tad too gullable though. While I have not actually "installed " any of these viruses, I do get them sent to my e-mail frequenty. Since I use a POP account and I'm on a 56k, it takes forever to get 3 messages that are 600k a pop.

I'd rather have the virus than be plagued by the time consuming "surprise" downloads.

Sophos Sweep here :).

The University supplies us students the anti-virus software and automatically udpate it for us :p.

At home I run Anti-virus software only on the proxy server and not any other machines. Any funny files that might contain viruses are scanned on that machine.

ss1.

at my work the network admin blocked any suspicious file extensions (.vbs, .exe, .xls, .doc. etc.) from passing through the email gateway. that solved 85% of their issues with gullible employees infecting their network.

they also use norton corporate edition which uses a central server which client computers (every computer but itself retty much) connects to. when norton releases an update it is automatically sent to this server which in turn updates the client computers in real time. seems to be very effective but it didn't block nimda which use an exploit to replicate itself.

beyond that, the SMS admin sends out patch updates every few dates to keep any possible exploits in check as well as pertant information on newly spreading virii.

however it really helps to edu-ma-cate your empoyees about the risks of opening random emails, which is the best way to prevent you rnetwork from being obliterated. :D

-j

Originally posted by just1n
however it really helps to edu-ma-cate your empoyees about the risks of opening random emails, which is the best way to prevent you rnetwork from being obliterated.

Soooo true!!

Here I we run both Norton and McAfee, however I personally prefer AVX which I got from www.centralcommand.com , Theyv'e released a new anti-virus called Vexira which supposedly only uses 3 Mb of RAM when running at full speed, but I haven't tried it yet.

I don't use any antivirus programs. If someone sends me mail with binary files attached, I open them and see what's inside using hexeditor. I've gotten some viruses, too. Most of the files come from friends and all of them are using Windows.. :D But when I had Windows, I used Netscape - majority of script-based viruses attack Outlook (Express).

Back