I installed the dell ver. Win xp pro to my other pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

exile0518

I accidentally purchased win xp dell ver. through ebay.
I already opened it accidentally, so I had no chance of returning the item.
So I just installed it... It worked fine!
until... activation.
I typed my cd key fine but it keeps says incorrect product key.
I found out that I had to install through phone....
But If I do that wouldn't they know that I am using dell ver right away?
because I heard using dell version windows on other comp is against a law...
That is why I can't call them...
But I do not want to waste money. I spent to 130 bucks on this piece of ****...

please help what I should do ..... THANK YOU.

It won't hurt to call MS, it's your only option here. They may ask you to enter the key that is on the case sticker. If they do, you may be SOL. If they don't, you may be ok.

Actually, if you have the original Dell/MS package, it may have the case sticker on it. Give MS that number when you call.

Paying $130 is too much for XP on E-Bay or anywhere else. You can get it from Newegg for $90... Do you actually mean $30?

no i did pay the 130 bucks. Try searching for windows xp pro, there are no 90 bucks ones....
I do have the case sticker..... but what number are you talking about?
the numbers under the bottom barcode?
I won't have to pay fine or anything when I get caught right/ haha...

Are you saying that you installed the software and you got to the point where you put the serial number in to complete the install and that the software will not accept your serial number? Or did you successfully install the software and then durning the validation process after the install the serial number came back as bad? The long series of numbers and letters on the sticker is the serial number.

It doesn't matter if you use the Dell version of Windows. Just call Microsoft and see what you can do to get the software activated. You'll need to have the serial number label with you when you make the call because they'll want to know the rest of the numbers on the sticker.

OK just to let you know what can happen to you if you use a fake version of Windows. NOTHING. I purchased a Windows XP Pro disk from Taiwan for $39.99. I had a pretty good idea that it would be fake. The disk looked like a valid disk, and the serial number looked like a valid serial, but each was fake. I installed the software and tried to register it, and the serial came back as bad. I followed the directions that Microsoft gave me to report a fradulent copy of Windows, and they gave me a new copy of Windows XP Pro for free. I was still out the fourty dollars I paid to the Taiwanese guy, but I had a valid copy of Windows XP Pro for $39.99. Don't be afraid of what can happen to you. The worst they can do is keep you from getting Windows updates through their website.

Ok,
I didn't realize that XP Pro was $140 now. I paid $89.99 about 2 years ago for XP Pro OEM...

The CD key is a group of 5, 5 digit letters and numbers separated by dashes like:
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The XP activation is very much automated. A woman's robotic voice will ask you to speak a series of numbers displayed on the activation screen into the phone. After a few seconds she will say "accepted" or that she can't find the numbers and you will be directed to a "live" person. As long as you say that this is the only machine this version of XP is installed on, and that this is the first activation, you should be ok. Don't be alarmed if they tell you to change the key. I don't think they will though. Give it a try. Let us know how it went. Good luck

Wow Thank you!! you guys really helped me alot!!!!
I will later after the college haha, and def. post reply to show what happened.
It might help others who might be experiencing the same problem.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

OK! i activated completely!! with no problem.
I activated without having to talk with live person....

THANK YOU But
I can't install this win xp on other comp right?
I have to buy one each time right?
that is very bad.... waste of money.... hate you Microsoft.

You're already lucky you've been able to activate a Dell license on a non-Dell computer so I would leave it at that.

One license, one computer. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back