It's now possible to activate Windows XP offline, algorithm gets cracked

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: It is now possible to activate a new installation of Windows XP, despite the fact that Microsoft no longer operates its online activation servers. Windows XP has long since been left in the dust but there are still plenty of machines running the legacy OS that could benefit from this tool.

The Register points to a blog post from tinyapps highlighting semi-recent developments on the matter. Of course, folks have been cracking Windows XP for decades but it is now possible to do so safely, securely, and without having to get Microsoft involved. Per a Reddit post on the matter, the tool is based on a reverse engineering effort of Microsoft's telephone activation algorithm.

According to the latest data from StatCounter, Windows XP is installed on just 0.35 percent of PCs worldwide. That's a hardly a blip on the radar, you say, so why is this even relevant?

StatCounter and other analytics services only measure systems that are connected to the Internet and visit sites with tracking code installed. The truth of the matter is that there are lots of systems in the wild that are not connected to the Internet. But why would they still be using an ancient operating system like Windows XP? Out of necessity.

There is no shortage of legacy hardware and software that is only compatible with older operating systems like XP. I once did IT work for a tanning salon years ago, and they used proprietary software from a company called Helios to control hardware-based T-Max bed timers. The software and hardware has probably come a long way since then but at the time, it had to be run on an older version of Windows.

In many cases, upgrading these mission critical systems simply is not possible because the proprietary hardware or software is no longer in development. If you find yourself in this boat and Windows XP is your only paddle, it is good to know that there's a way to activate the OS without an Internet connection. Microsoft also offered phone-based activation, but it is unclear if this method is still functional today.

Full details on what you will need to activate XP can be found over on the tinyapps blog. It also begs the question - will Microsoft ever release an official activation tool for XP?

Permalink to story.

If I wanted to run XP, it would be to get away from Microsoft's shenanigans.

I mean, this is where piracy is ethical; the developer no longer supports it and you want to use a product that you own.
Noo, think of the damage you're causing to these multi-billion dollar companies!

Wait, I didn't have internet till 2006, yet I used Windows XP since 2002, activating it with a code from the CD case that came with a PC. You're telling Me at some point It was activated online? I genuinely thought It started with Windows Vista/7? I suppose You learn new things every day.

I mean, this is where piracy is ethical; the developer no longer supports it and you want to use a product that you own.

Always thought / or if I could pass a law : any software / hardware not meaningfully updated with a new relavent feature goes into the public domiain 10 years after stated update.

or companies pay a legacy tax where the IP progresivly becomes more costly for them to own over time. They can own the IP for 100 years but it'll cost a goodly sum to do so.

Basically put an end to patent trolls, better humanity while benifiting the company and so on. Seems easy... like herding cats.

If you're running Windows XP, you better hope you're not connected to the Internet. I assume the licensing mechanism was cracked by a bored CS major.

Most serious windows users have known about this for a long time. You can download the ISOs and activating them shouldn't take long. Key cracks are absolutely not a sensible solution - even with a retro set up using XP. I still find XP brilliant for running software that will never run on a modern system. Why some of it was never updated is still surprising.

I've always activated mine using this one key I found on Yahoo! Answers when I was 10 years old and it has never failed me lol
Interesting. I seem to recall only OEM versions could get away without the activation process (e.g. a Dell or HP), whilst retail copies would still dial home for activation even with the serial key.

Interesting. I seem to recall only OEM versions could get away without the activation process (e.g. a Dell or HP), whilst retail copies would still dial home for activation even with the serial key.
In many cases, the activation code was baked into the BIOS, and hidden behind an administrative password.

Although M$ never vigorously enforced it, an OEM copy of Windows XP, was NOT supposed to be given out with a store bought PC. The manufacturer was supposed to image the disc, along with all their bloatware, then supply "restore discs" to the end user..

I had an eMachines that wouldn't even boot from a legit Windows disc. Only the supplied restore discs could be used for recovery. (Well, either that, or a live copy of Linux)

Adobe is a pioneer in activation a**holery. I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 15, which is fully compatible with Windows 7. In a chat with one of their agents, I was told flatly I would not be able to install it on anything but Windows 10.

(you get 2 installs on each copy of PSE. One copy is installed on Win 7. But that was made before Win 7 support ended).

Last edited:
We can say, that in this kind of situations, it is mandatory if you have to use it in production.

This has been possible for decades already. So called "Corporate" keys do not require activation and if using offline, no problems wit updates etc.

In many cases, the activation code was baked into the BIOS, and hidden behind an administrative password.

Although M$ never vigorously enforced it, an OEM copy of Windows XP, was NOT supposed to be given out with a store bought PC. The manufacturer was supposed to image the disc, along with all their bloatware, then supply "restore discs" to the end user..

I had an eMachines that wouldn't even boot from a legit Windows disc. Only the supplied restore discs could be used for recovery. (Well, either that, or a live copy of Linux)

Adobe is a pioneer in activation a**holery. I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 15, which is fully compatible with Windows 7. In a chat with one of their agents, I was told flatly I would not be able to install it on anything but Windows 10.

(you get 2 installs on each copy of PSE. One copy is installed on Win 7. But that was made before Win 7 support ended).
XP product key was not baked into the BIOS. Microsoft started doing this in cooperation with OEMs beginning with Windows 7. Maybe Vista, too? I dunno. I have managed to avoid Vista almost completely. Same with Windows 8.

XP product key was not baked into the BIOS. Microsoft started doing this in cooperation with OEMs beginning with Windows 7. Maybe Vista, too? I dunno. I have managed to avoid Vista almost completely. Same with Windows 8.
I think if you reread my post you're quoting, you'll find the I said "in many" machines the XP activation code was baked into the BIOS". Note that I did not say, "IN ALL".It certainly was in my eMachines. (P4 519 3.06 Ghz / Intel 915GAG).

(On which incidentally, I ran the "Vista update advisor", and found out that drivers would not be forthcoming for Vista. I guess I dodged a bullet on that one).

As for Vista itself, it runs fine in OEM form on my ancient Toshiba laptop. Keep in mind Toshiba's system integrators more than likely wrote custom drivers for it. If nothing else, Vista was a great beta for Windows 7. (It's the native SATA drivers. No more BS with adding them from floppy)..

Last edited:
Customer: Hello, the bulb not producing any light, can you help me with that?
MS support: The bulb in our office is doing right, other questions?

thats from W95 help desk

Customer: Hello, the bulb not producing any light, can you help me with that?
MS support: The bulb in our office is doing right, other questions?

thats from W95 help desk
If you'll forgive me for asking, why in god's name would anyone be calling M$ support for "a bulb not lighting:, in the first place?

It might be an OEM version for all I know. I downloaded it at an internet café and burned it to a CD, it's the XP Professional "clean" image, no service packs or extras baked in.

You have provided the only logical reason to run XP. Everything else about XP is so limited.
Other than that, some pieces of old hardware can only run in a physical 2000 or XP machine whether because they can't be physically put in a newer machine due to the lack of interfaces (ISA, ATA, AGP, PCI, etc.) or because its drivers can only run in a 16 or 32-bit operating system.
I have a TV/video capture card that uses a PCI slot and a software that only runs on XP, and there are no alternatives for the capture soft. AGP graphics card with the S-video output I need to cast to an older TV set.

There are certain things that can't be done with newer hardware or would require multiple converters/adapters in order to do, so XP still has a legitimate use.

I'm sure you can find a ton of examples of use of older technology outside a consumer home environment, for example my local library still uses microfiche machines, floppy disks and dot-matrix printers, same for the school. Government buildings and post offices rely on teleprinters and communicate via landlines, systems that don't fully rely on regular mains power to function, sure it's ancient but it "just works".

Have been using various methods to do the XP activations long before this. Even though I have various original copies, both retail and OEM CDs, the activation process can't be done since MS stopped supporting it.

(For the sake of convenience, there are also (pirated, of course) SP3 copies with up-to-date patches available that doesn't even require activation since it's already done.)

I still use XP in my Thinkpad E530, along with Windows 7 and Arch Linux (for doing anything online), each in its own partition.

Back