Inactive I think i am a being scammed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
Earlier today i switched off my note book for a couple hours. To my suprise when i tried to switch it back on a text writing as following showed on the screen.
Your computer is locked.
Do not try do to anything. Any attempt to unlock will completly remove the data.
For reservatiom of the data and unlock buy 10 EUR card ucash or paysafecard and send details to the mailbox: rogue link removed. In response you will recieve an unlock code.
That is the whole message and i am not able to anything since this appears as soon as i switch on my computer. I am not able to press F8 or anything. Its like im not even able to reboot. Please if anyone has experienced this or if anyone know what to do please help me.
Thanks
Chris

EDIT: Rogue email address had been removed.

Chris, this sound like the rogue Error Checker at work. And yes, it is an attempted scam. It 'invents' and error, then tries to get you to pay for a program to fix it. A prime source for this rogue is Facebook. However, non-Facebook members are at risk as well. A Web search of "Error Check System" will yield a link to a site that contains code that will initiate a fake virus scan and try to fool users into installing malware disguised as antivirus software, Sophos identified the malware as Sus/FakeAV-A and Troj/FakeAV-LL.

Do not act on any "Error" that appears from this malware!

Are you able to get past this alert? We need to do some scans to find the rogue and remove it. If you can at least download Malwarebytes to a flash drive, then install and run on the problem, it should remove enough of it to do additional scans.

malwarebytesgc8.png

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from from HERE
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    [o] Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    [o] and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform Quick scan, then click Scan.
    * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please attach this log with your reply
    [o] If you accidentally close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    [o] C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
========================
Be sure to check the line to remove what is found..

Paste that log into your next reply and we'll go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back