I think my Hard Drive is going to die

Exabyte

I have an old Seagate Hard Drive which I think may be close to dying. Every time I try to startup Windows with the Hard Drive connected installed Windows tries to repair it, and at some times Windows freezes and unfreezes, errors pop up like DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION as I am trying to load into Windows and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (iaStorV.sys) as I am trying to load the Windows Automatic Repair, and even CrystalDiskInfo is saying ’Caution Health Status’.

I am not sure what if it‘s dead or Windows is just broken. Just now as I am writing this it’s on the Windows loading screen, and The DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error just popped up. I wanna be sure to replace the hard drive if it is going to die though instead of wasting money. But I don’t wanna have to wait 10 minutes just to start into Windows.

I have heard that Western Digital Hard Drives are better than Seagate but I am thinking of getting an SSD instead of a Hard Drive next, so I want to know what is the best recommended SSD, and the flaws to it.

I am unable to get the Model of the Hard Drive because it won’t load into Windows because of it and taking out the Hard Drive won’t help.

I got the Model [SIZE=26px]Seagate DB35.4 Series ST3250310CS - hard drive - 250 GB - SATA 3Gb/s[/SIZE]

Best to replace a hard drive that's getting old or has had a hard life before there are serious issues. That way you can clone the disc to the replacement. With your nearly dead drive it's not going to work out and a fresh install of Windows would be best. Hopefully you have important stuff already safely backed up. I've bought a few different makers SSDs and they all seem fine to me. Just go for a well established make. They are a great upgrade.

Best to replace a hard drive that's getting old or has had a hard life before there are serious issues. That way you can clone the disc to the replacement. With your nearly dead drive it's not going to work out and a fresh install of Windows would be best. Hopefully you have important stuff already safely backed up. I've bought a few different makers SSDs and they all seem fine to me. Just go for a well established make. They are a great upgrade.
thanks

If you get an SSD (or HDD) of at least that size you can clone it to a new one if the drive can stay working long enough. Probably worth a try. Some programs (EaseUS products?) may be able to clone the partition to a smaller drive (like going from a large HDD to a SSD) if the used space is smaller than the new drive.

Back