I was given a free computer and now I can't log in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I work at a school and i was given a free computer because they had too many. I hooked up everything fine but when i started the computer it asked for a password. Although i worked at the school, i never had access to the computer so i dnt know any passwords. I also dont know who in the school it belonged to. Is there a way that i can make it my own with my own username and password? It is a windows xp so please what can i do?

Yes, you can use a special free program to erase the password. There are a number of them available on the Internet. What you do is boot from a CD with the program, it looks up the encrypted table of passwords and you simply erase it (the program can't read it, but can erase it.)

Now the one I use is on a utlity CD called Hiren and I can't remember the name of the program offhand as I haven't had to use it months! Ask a local comptuer store or techie or a copy of Hiren CD or a free program they can give you. It's not hard to do.

-- Andy

Now the one I use is on a utlity CD called Hiren and I can't remember the name of the program offhand as I haven't had to use it months! Ask a local comptuer store or techie or a copy of Hiren CD or a free program they can give you. It's not hard to do.
Hiren is...not allowed at techspot because it is illegal depending in the jurisdiction.
Oh and theres like ten million different password recovery type programs on Hirens, i'm sure one is probably free. Not that I have hirens of course ;). Not only that, but google likely offers many.
Read this http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm.

Hiren is...not allowed at techspot because it is illegal depending in the jurisdiction.
Oh and theres like ten million different password recovery type programs on Hirens, i'm sure one is probably free. Not that I have hirens of course ;). Not only that, but google likely offers many.
Read this http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm.

http://download.cnet.com/Passware-Kit-Enterprise/3000-2653_4-10235518.html
Version 8.1 build 2753 includes burning of a password reset CD for Windows accounts, support for RAID/SCSI/SATA drives, password recovery for MYOB 2007, and other improvements. see all new features

I suspect it remains the policy that TechSpot does not participate in Password removal postings. You will need to go elsewhere.

Have you tried something so simple as asking the computer coordinator or administrator at the school for assistance?

you could always reinstall windows. AND ALSO WAIT WAIT WAIT i still go to school and they link all of their passwords and computers to a main server. No exactly sure if they link their programs there to so you might as well reinstall xp or vista or something

No responsible school unit, would deal with a large number of computers without a log of passwords, and a way to change them... too many student possibilities with some up to no good.
Just ask for help and you will get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back