i'm sorry...another autochk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here so you might have to bear with me. I have a Dell Inspirion 9200 laptop. Yesterday my computer froze up and now when I restart it I get the autochk program not found error and the computer just reboots itself. I've read this thread...https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7746.html...but I still have a couple of problems. First of all, I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world so some of that thread was over my head but, if I understand it correctly it sounds like a partition is hidden. I read the fix about using PTedit but my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, can I make a DOS disk from a regular cd? That brings me to me next question, I've been using the windows xp recovery disk trying several things of which none have worked. However the last time I restarted the computer, I hit F12 to boot from the cd drive like I usually do and the CD drive was GONE!!! It wasn't listed as one of the options to boot from, but i didn't change anything the last couple of times i rebooted. If anybody could help I'd really appreciate it, I don't know where to go from here. I'm about to graduate college and I have a lot of stuff on this computer I really can't afford to lose. Feel free to ask any questions if you need more information and thank you.

Try FreeDOS. There's an ISO you can burn to CD iirc.

Another way to fix it would be to boot a Linux liveCD and use fdisk to change the partition code to 7/NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back