Improving Your WiFi Range

D

DelJo63

When push comes to shove, you may be able to make a simple tool which
will create 11db gain for your wireless router. This is most effective when
you need more range in a specific direction.

What an interesting article - especially if it actually works. If I try it, does that qualify me for the tin-foil hat crew? :p

I can see the logic, and the need to be very accurate with the template. This from the site FAQ is interesting as well.
Parabolic Template FAQ said:
Q: Can a pringles can be made into a reflector?

A: I have never spoken to anyone who has used a pringles can to make the reflecting part that has not been delighted with the results. Don't make the supporting parts out of pringles can material, though.
You need to have some type of site survey software running on a laptop to help tune it. This is readily available for little to no money as long as you can associate to the AP - Netstumbler, AirMagnet and Kismet should all be capable of mapping the signal.

At the same time, I have seen APs mounted next to a reflective surface (specifically 1 - a shiny plastic wall covering, and 2 - the thin metal stiffener plate inside some wallboard) significantly attenuate the signal available to devices attempting to connect. It is notable that in all cases these surfaces were fairly well flat, not significantly (if at all) curved.

From what I've heard, the CAN-tenna works well. Never used one as my laptop has an excellent built in antenna. Bear in mind the CAN-tenna is a directional antenna. (It is basically a YAGI antenna for you radio head geeks.)

this works very well, didnt get an increase of 11db, got around 9. boosted my network from low to very good - excellent.

sr20rps13 said:
this works very well, didnt get an increase of 11db, got around 9. boosted my network from low to very good - excellent.

What did you use for the tin foil? Not Alumin Foil right? Also if you did use Tin Foil where did you get it from?

I don't know if its tin or aluminium, sorry. I do know that it comes in a 50 foot roll from a Food Basics in Markham, Ontario, Canada. I think aluminium foil should work fine though...

Mmmm, okay I'll give it a try saves buying these extra high gain ant for my other High Power Router. They want $19 bucks for 6db gain ant. if you got 9db just using foil wow!

I've built another one today. This time, I've built it a lot stronger by making the foil thincker and using bristol board instead of flimsy 8.5 x 11 and got about 10dB. I think doubling the size of the reflector can also improve the dB values.

Wow! 10db you say, that sounds good how many layers did you use?

Also I can't find any tin fold, not even the craft stores or hardware stores just don't carry them.

So only this:

Reynolds Wrap® Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
50 sq. ft - 12" wide
37 1/2 sq. ft. and 75 sq. ft. - 18" wide

rwhd50.jpg

Reynolds Wrap® Extra Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
37 1/2 sq. ft. - 18" wide

rwhd37.jpg

Okay I found a better method for get the AF and going to use 50 yds of Heavy Duty Foil Tape. You use that on AC, Heater Units and piping. It has it's own sticky side so you don't need glue. I'll post my results shortly..

See below:

223467367.jpg

Now are you suppose to do both sides and that corner piece also with the tin foil or just one side. I've tried both ways and I don't see any difference in db gain. Maybe because my wireless access point are already high power signal at 100% signal strength each. One has 4db gain ant the other has 2db gain ant.

I don't think you can find tin foil anymore. It gives food a tinny taste, thats why no one buys it and no one makes it anymore.

No my signal strenght is excellent throughout the house and it was just better to pickup another High Power AP did the trick...

sr20rps13 said:
I don't think you can find tin foil anymore. It gives food a tinny taste, thats why no one buys it and no one makes it anymore.

Tin foil stopped being used in the early twenty's when FDA realized it poisoned you. Aluminum foil took over quickly but the name stuck. It's just to hard to say Aluminum.:(

I am wondering if there is a way to optimize internal antennas on laptops without an antenna port?

Just wanted to bump this. I made the 'Parabolic dish' thing in the OP. I didn't use it for my router. I placed it on my PCI card's external antennae. It didn't really work at all.

Maybe the signal was too far or too weak (was trying to hijack neighbor's net) but I noticed no change whatsoever with or without the thing. I placed the antennae in just about every combination of directions possible and didn't get any improvement.

:( Took me pretty long to make the dumb thing too, Felt like I got scammed by a household hacker youtube video :(

Hello Folks,

Improving range and receiving are two and yet one in the same depending on ones method. As some of the older Linksys routers were great as repeaters, just as a cantenna is not a yagi. Each is a different form factor. One can simply do a web search on the topic of WiFi, or just use cantenna as a base search word to start with. Wikipedia has some very good links for WiFi DYI projects. :D
I have made, used, and sold my own cantenna made from soup cans for $60 USD. ;)

Thank You,
mauser1891

Back