Install problem Seagate 120GB into HP Pavillion XT938

Status
Not open for further replies.
After following the OEM instructions by the book I still get a blinking cursor after POST.

- The Seagate copy util worked without any error dialogs.
- The bios sees the drive, POST has a line correctly indicating the drive.
- Jumpers are installed per the manual, the jumper loc is the far left position (Master ) for the 120GB and it is plugged in using the 'master' plug.
- I have used the Seagate util to reset the MBR.
- Tried the size-limit jumper located in the far right jumper location-
Response: cursor reacted the same way just blinked. System would not proceed and boot up.

Win XP, current on patches.

-Bios PhoenixBios 4.0 at 6.0.K
-Drive: Seagate ST3120026A Ultra ATA
-Previous drive: ST360020A Ultra ATA
Double boot using GRUB and SUSE 8.0
-CMOS set to AUTO.

Previous drive Seagate 60 GB worked fine, just got full.

Any ideas?!?

George

With the Seagate utilities did you just copy all the files from the 60 or did you "clone" it ? ? ?
If not you can re-do the entire operation by returning the 60 to it's master position with the new one as slave...

Another thing to consider when working with cloned drives and i have learned the hard way in the past.
After a clone operation it is a good idea to install the newest cloned drive as master with no other HDD's connected and make sure it boots a few times successfully without any other HDD's in the system.
At that point it's usually safe to re-introduce the other HDD as a slave...

patio. :cool:

Is there an option to clear the MBR or delete partitions/format the drive in the Seagate utility?

If you can clear the MBR, you should see a BOOT FAILURE (or simliar) error message rather than a blinking cursor. I'd be curious if you can see this error message if you did so.

I'm assuming you're replacing your old drive with the new one. Have you tried imaging your data over? This makes the procedure more complicated and several things can go wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if this is to blame.

Also, have you tried a clean install of Windows? Boot from the Windows CD and install Windows... Delete and recreate the partitions and it should work. If it does not, then you know something is wrong with your drive, computer or configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back