Install XP Pro on SATA disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomex

I bought a Vita Premium PC, but I plan on putting XP Pro on it since I have a lot of software that I need use. If I remove Vista and install XP Pro, will I encounter any problems during the install of XP Pro on a SATA disk. I know that XP Pro will be looking for the SATA drivers, will these be included on the XP Pro install disk, or do I need to get them from the internet?

It depends. If you have XP SP2, some SATA drivers are included but not all. It would be best if you had them on hand (if you can find them) just in case. Of course, if you don't have a floppy drive, you will have to slipstream Windows and the SATA drives together on a CD. Try to find the appropriate SATA/RAID drivers at the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Before replace Vista with XP, don't forget you will need other motherboard drivers too; chipset, graphics, sound card, lan, etc.

I wouldn't worry about slipstreaming if I were you. As long as you have SP2 you really shouldn't have any problems unless you have some uber elite SATA controller that recently came out. My computers all use SATA and windows has never had any problems installing on them.

I could be wrong, but I believe that if you want to run your SATA drives in AHCI mode (for higher performance) and if your SATA controller chipset supports AHCI mode (not all do) XP does not come with those drivers. For that you would have to use F6 or slipstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back