Installed Norton Internet Security and can not use AOL Instant Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed Norton Internet Security on my daughters computer. She now can not use AOL instant messaging. She can leave an away message, she can read what people are writing BUT SHE CAN NOT WRITE ANYTHING
I have turned off parental controls, and even turned off firewall, then I took the last step and turned off the entire Norton Internet Security and the problem still exists. We have uninstalled and reinstalled AOL instant messenger several times. Any advice, I think it is really lousy that if I call Norton I have to pay $29? We didn't get a chance to try her email, as we watched the PATRIOTS WIN! The only thing I can think of is to change the AOL connection to a proxy to get through the firewall, but I have no idea how to do that. Any help greatly appreciated!

I don't have the solution but have my own problems caused by Norton 2005 If you haven't already done so check out the other forums with symantec problems and maybe your solution will be there or somebody can help if you post your question there

issues w/IM

kids are mad said:
I installed Norton Internet Security on my daughters computer. She now can not use AOL instant messaging. She can leave an away message, she can read what people are writing BUT SHE CAN NOT WRITE ANYTHING

First, I my opinon(imo), you've been protected from the rath of the Internet! All professional systems UNINSTALL MSN Messagener and disallow AIM, Yahoo, et al. WHY? because it is uncontrolled access, allows files to be moved and once allowed behind the firewall, havoc ensues. Highly recommend you learn to live with email.

That said, here's how to make it work.
In the firewall configuration, you can ALLOW a program to do anything, or you can ALLOW specific ports to be 'opened'.

AOL uses port 5190,
Yahoo uses 5050,5100

so ALLOW TO/FROM any IP, TCP,UDP ports {5050,5100,5190}

use at your own risk!

ps: I've uninstall all IM so I can't get back to 'prove' this explicitly works.
With Norton, you can MONITOR activity with a rule that says
MONITOR TO ALL, TCP,UPD ports ALL, log event

and then go back to a BRIEF session in IM to see the real ports being accessed.

best wishes, JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back