Installing AVG over existing virus scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjps220

A friend of mine wanted me to help him figure out how to install AVG on his computer. He had tried it, and failed, and I thought it would be a simple simple job. When I tried to install it, the computer randomly restarted. Then it seemed sluggish whenever I tried to access the AVG installing software.

Are there compatibility issues between mcafee and AVG? Or would it be something else on the computer? He's running windows xp with sp2.

It is not wise to run more than 1 virus scanner on the same machine.
use one or the other.

yeah I figured that. he just wanted to make sure that he had one working install so he didn't want to delete the old one before making sure the new one worked. I'm just wondering if you guys know of any conflicts that would cause the installation of AVG to not work while mcafee was installed.

easy. mcaffee would pick up the virus definitions avg would use to scan stuff... its like when adaware and spybot kept picking up each other's datafiles when you scan the computers.. (although that problem had been fixed)

plus, like norton (tho not as bad) mcafee has some say, excess baggage that comes with it, but the scaner is abit more powerfull than avg free

I used both AVG Free and Mcaffee with no problems, however my Mcafee subscription recently ran out. My PC runs a bit faster without and AVG does a good enough job. I have replaced the Mcaffee firewall with the free Zone Alarm firewall.

I will be honest, it is not AS good as Mcaffee, but it is free so I can't really complain!

hi

Running AVAST AVG and Etrust on win2000 server, all 3 at once with no probs, my guess would be the McAffee's patterns are there to block out other AV software. Ran MicroTrend Avast and AVG on XP, still no probs with those three. (only prob is that *&^%^& trend security check garbage)

cheers

(ps) avast is a good free scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back