Installing XP on slave drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I think I am having a brain-fart here, but I just installed and formatted a slave drive on my computer, and am trying to install XP on the slave drive, but everytime I put the XP disk in the cd drive it just wants to install it on my master HD. How do I install this on the slave drive?

thx.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Disconnect your current master drive and make the slave drive master and install Windows.

Then, make the drive slave again and reconnect your master drive.

You can then edit the boot.ini file for a dual boot system if you want. That`s exactly the set up I have.

Edit: Here`s how my boot.ini looks.

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

XP is on my master drive, but I slaved this new drive with the expectation of putting it another computer....I could not access the drive on the other computer for some reason and slaved it my other computer so that I could look at the drive.

I tried your suggestion and am now getting this error...

"NTLDR is missing"
"Press ctrl / alt / delete to retry"

What happened when you tried to access the drive from the other computer?

Have you tried replacing the drive in the other computer since it was formatted?

You probably have, but I`ll ask anyway.

The jumper settings on the drive are correct aren`t they?

Regards Howard :)

The jumper settings are correct, when the drive was on the other computer nothing happens when you turn the computer on, if I turn it on with the XP disk in the drive it says "Checking Computer Hardware Settings" and then shuts itself off......everytime!

Mmm, obviously something`s amiss. I suggest you run the manufacturers diagnostic utility on the drive, just in case it`s faulty in some way.

If you can`t find it, take a look at this thread HERE.

Obviously, you`ll need to check the drive while it`s connected to your computer as a slave drive.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back