Intel drones put on a dazzling light show during Super Bowl's halftime show

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel's Shooting Star drones made an appearance tonight at the Super Bowl's halftime show helping Lady Gaga set the stage for the rest of her show. In total 300 of the tiny drones (all controlled by a single machine) were used. Last year Intel broke the world record by flying 500 synchronized drones in Sydney (more details about that below, in our original story from last November). Since then the Shooting Star drones were also showcased in Disney during the holidays for a colorful fireworks-like aerial show.

As a side note, while the drones did perform above the stadium, the actual show was not live during the Super Bowl's halftime. Due to aviation restrictions in the area surrounding the NRG Stadium and rules that forbid drones from hovering high in the sky right above a crowd, this part of the show was pre-recorded days prior but broadcasted as if was happening as the show took place.  

Pyrotechnicians have been captivating audiences with dazzling fireworks displays for centuries. The art and science of firework making dates back to 7th century China but chipmaker Intel is hoping that technology can lend a hand in creating awe-inspiring aerial displays of the future.

While others seem dead-set on using aerial drones for delivery-based tasks, Intel is experimenting with using them to put on stunning fireworks-like performances. After setting a record last year by putting 100 drones in the sky (all of which were controlled by a single operator), Intel recently broke its own record by using 500 drones simultaneous during a light show (again, all run by a single person).

As you can see, the small Shooting Star drones can be used to create displays that simply aren’t possible with traditional fireworks. What they lack in terms of loud screaming and screeching, they more than make up for in sheer flexibility. Intel says they can travel at speeds of up to 22 miles per hour, even in light rain (conditions that might ruin a traditional fireworks presentation).

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

So I kind of though the video would have been better without the CGI edits? Just sayin'.... the drones were owning it. The CGI was not needed.

Very cool. Now maybe next time they'll all bang and blow up like real fireworks making things even more spectacular.

The half time show is better than the last olympics.
But to be fair, you'd have to compare the halftime show(s) with the opening and closing ceremonies. It's the big letdown involved involved when you go from spectacular dance and musical performances, to watching people run a few yards really fast, or a bunch of thugs throwing a lead ball. Booor...ring.

I think Lady Gaga's performance way at least as good as Beyonce's, which made it onto a "Best Halftime Performances" TV documentary.

The trouble is, were I to actually say that in this day and age, I might be accused of being a racist.

Then too,Gaga's performance could have been spoiled by Kanye West running up on stage shouting Beyonce was better, the same way he did to Taylor Swift. I suppose we should thank God for small favors.

I really liked the final evolution of Lady Gaga's costume, silver sequined briefs with mock shoulder pads. Hm, I wonder what team she plays for....:D

Last edited:
One of these days, this will probably replace a lot of firework displays....for "safety purposes" or some garbage.

The half time show is better than the last olympics.
But to be fair, you'd have to compare the halftime show(s) with the opening and closing ceremonies. It's the big letdown involved involved when you go from spectacular dance and musical performances, to watching people run a few yards really fast, or a bunch of thugs throwing a lead ball. Booor...ring.

I think Lady Gaga's performance way at least as good as Beyonce's, which made it onto a "Best Halftime Performances" TV documentary.

The trouble is, were I to actually say that in this day and age, I might be accused of being a racist.

Then too,Gaga's performance could have been spoiled by Kanye West running up on stage shouting Beyonce was better, the same way he did to Taylor Swift. I suppose we should thank God for small favors.

I really liked the final evolution of Lady Gaga's costume, silver sequined briefs with mock shoulder pads. Hm, I wonder what team she plays for....:D

With all the respect due to someone of your rank, Sir, I think you would have done better had you left out the racist thing. You could be correct, but I would hope that folks would take your other comments about Ms Gaga's performance as being a compliment and end it at that. You left yourself open to attack.

I won't comment on your opinion of American football except to say that there is a whole lot more just standing around than running.

With all the respect due to someone of your rank, Sir, I think you would have done better had you left out the racist thing. You could be correct, but I would hope that folks would take your other comments about Ms Gaga's performance as being a compliment and end it at that. You left yourself open to attack.....[ ]....
Oh goody, some two post wonder is going to give me "politically correct posting lessons".

I better watch myself, somebody might attack me? Really? Maybe I should change my screen name to "private happy". After all, if somebody sasses me, I might chew my fingernails to the bone and run off to hide under my bed

...[ ]...I won't comment on your opinion of American football except to say that there is a whole lot more just standing around than running.
Yeah, it's way different from soccer, which is a whole lot of running around while accomplishing nothing. :p And we generally contain the riots and brawling to the play field, instead of rioting in the stands after an hour or so long 0-0 boor-fest. :D

Last edited:
Oh goody, some two post wonder is going to give me "politically correct posting lessons".

I better watch myself, somebody might attack me? Really? Maybe I should change my screen name to "private happy". After all, if somebody sasses me, I might chew my fingernails to the bone and run off to hide under my bed

Yeah, it's way different from soccer, which is a whole lot of running around while accomplishing nothing. :p And we generally contain the riots and brawling to the play field, instead of rioting in the stands after an hour or so long 0-0 boor-fest. :D
You've counted coup on me – twice. I'll skulk away into the night having learned that challenging you is futile. I thought I was a grouch, but I'm just a wannabe.

Back