Internet access just as important as food and sleep, study finds

Shawn Knight

Staff member

internet internet access

Most of us would agree that Internet access plays a significant role in our day-to-day lives but is it really more important than food or sleep? That apparently appears to be the case based on a recent study released by U.K. broadband provider TP-Link.

Specifically, the survey found that during a regular 24 hour day, 50 percent of people dedicate more time to the Internet than to food or sleep. Broken down further, a full 42 percent of men said Internet access and sex were more important than food or shelter.

When an Internet connection fails, 82 percent of respondents said they feel frustration or anger – no real surprise there as I believe most of us would agree with this finding.

“As our recent research shows, in the current increasingly digital world, quick and easy connectivity is one of the main concerns in people’s minds in the UK,” said Eric Wang, Country Manager at TP-Link.

The study found that Internet access can also have some positive effects on individuals. For example, 51 percent of people said they have improved friendships due to Internet access while a quarter of respondents said they feel a greater sense of belonging thanks to the web. Social networks and the like no doubt play into this metric. Only seven percent of those polled said they experienced an improvement in their love lives, however.

Data from the study was collected by TP-Link across the U.K. and Ireland during February and March of this year. The company used a sample size of 3,000 people – both male and female – between the ages of 18 and 55, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

Broken down further, a full 42 percent of men said Internet access and sex were more important than food or shelter
Lol. You'd think food & sex not food & internet. At Least, now we know the priorities of men in the UK. Personally, If I had to pick between shelter,food and internet. I'd do what any normal thinking human being would do and and put internet at the very bottom of the priority list.

I found this study to be nothing short of a comical ridiculous waste. Like most polls, its mostly junk with little to no actual relevant data.
"80% of men feel anger when disconnected".
Drrp.
And the 42% thing? Take away thier food and shelter concretely so they starve and freeze and then we'll see if that number changes.
Good article for some bogus skewed crapalicious info to get clicks, this is Techspot and not Yahoo correct?

Let's not lie here, internet is better than sex becasue we replace it waching some red websites (that eliminates need for it). Food is being replaced by coca-cola to stay up late and all hyped-up and sleep is replaced marginwith dozing-off while you're watching some kitty playing piano on youtube so I agree with this poll :)

I'm sure food and shelter always is number one and two priority for most intelligent males and females.

Another useless tabloid poll then.

How much did TP Link pay for this publicity stunt? I live in the UK and can categorically tell you that TP Link are not a Broadband provider!! Anyone with an ounce of product sense knows that they manufacture and supply routers etc. The ads at the bottom of the article might just possibly be a give away!?

This is just the kind of garbage journalism that we are being fed these days. Utter crap! Come on Tech Spot, smarten up and get your facts straight!!

I love the comment “As our recent research shows, in the current increasingly digital world, quick and easy connectivity is one of the main concerns in people’s minds in the UK,” said Eric Wang, Country Manager at TP-Link."

Yeah right! I bump into people every day whose main concern is about Internet connectivity! The fact that banks, government and oil companies are robbing us blind day in day out pales into insignificance. Even if this was a real poll, I hardly think that a sample of "3000" justifies their "findings." We may be a small island but there are 60 million people crammed on it. (n)

I'm sure food and shelter always is number one and two priority for most intelligent males and females.

Another useless tabloid poll then.
Oh no, I'll sleep out in the yard under a pile of leaves before I do without internet. Trolling is my life, can't you tell?

Wait, I'll sleep under a bridge! Yeah, under a bridge, that's the ticket........;)

I wonder if anybody actually funded this crap.If so, this has taken malfeasance and misappropriation of funds to a whole 'nuther level of money pissed up a wall.

I agree. I also wonder if an actual survey was undertaken. If it was, it was probably a half hearted affair.

Dedicating more time to something doesn't mean that it's more important. I work for 9 hours a day which is more than I sleep, so working must be more important, right? Granted I don't really choose to work 9 hours a day, but then I don't choose to sleep 7 hours a day either; it's simply the amount of time I find that I need to be ready to start the day.

Is eating less important to someone if they spend less time doing it? Is sleeping less important to me compared to someone who spends 12 hours a day doing it? This study is seriously flawed.

Good article for some bogus skewed crapalicious info to get clicks, this is Techspot and not Yahoo correct?

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. Yahoo! is the one that usually posts this kind of garbage

Taking care of sex is easy. It the job for my 'right hand', man!
Yeah well, this is the problem with the internet. It takes you away from actual sex with a real partner!

OTOH, you don't have to listen to a bunch of crap, and there's no "honey do list".

You don't have to engage in mortal combat for miladies hand.

You bathroom won't be filled with a bunch of junk that makes you sneeze

You' never get an STD.

And the women on the internet are way, way better looking than you're going to be able to catch in real life. Plus, they'll never get old or fat. They'd be replaced before that happened. (*).

Oh, never mind. All hands on deck, so to speak.

(*)(Unless BBWs are your thing. In which case they're have a border collie herd them in front of the camera for you).

IMHO, the people in this survey are addicted. I'm sure it is not long before IA - Internet Anonymous springs up everywhere.

Then again, it does not sound like this study is capable of standing up to scientific rigor. Still, I think it would be interesting to study this more as to why people responded the way that they did.

Internet access, IMHO, is certainly not more important than food. In fact, our society has not changed so much that internet access is something that one cannot live without. Internet access can make some things considerably easier; however, if anyone thinks that they cannot live without it, I would call that an addiction.

...[ ]....Then again, it does not sound like this study is capable of standing up to scientific rigor. Still, I think it would be interesting to study this more as to why people responded the way that they did....[ ]....
Not really! If some imbecile came up to me with mic in hand, blabbering about, "what's more important, food, shelter, or internet access, I might tell him , "oh, definitely internet", just to shine him on and get him out of my face. Hey, somebody with good sense would simply call the police.

No kidding. American's are beyond spoiled. I think that is the ultimate conclusion to be had from this survey.

No kidding. American's are beyond spoiled. I think that is the ultimate conclusion to be had from this survey.
"America, excellence in stupidity"!

As a motto for the back of our money, "E pluribus unum" certainly has nothing to recommend it over that.

Back