Internet Explorer 7 problem, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adu123

When I open IE7 from the start menu, a message box will always pop up says: "Cannot find{2559A1F4-21D7-11D4-BDAF-00C04F60B9F0}, make sure the path or Internet address is correct." but when I close the message box, the browser will load just fine. so I've search the code in the Registry Editor, I've located it, on the right hand field it shows:
Name: ab(Default) Type: REG_SZ Data: (value not set)

I would be really grateful if any experts here can help me out here, thank you

This what my (same) key says: (using Xp Pro)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}]
@="Internet"
"LocalizedString"="@explorer.exe,-7024"
"InfoTip"="@explorer.exe,-7004"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,65,00,78,00,70,00,6c,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,\
65,00,2c,00,2d,00,32,00,35,00,33,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,\
64,00,6f,00,63,00,76,00,77,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\Instance]
"CLSID"="{25585dc7-4da0-438d-ad04-e42c8d2d64b9}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]
"Element"="{3c81e7fa-1f3b-464a-a350-114a25beb2a2}"
"InitString"="StartMenuInternet"
"opentext"="@shell32.dll,-12705"
"properties"="inetcpl.cpl"
"propertiestext"="@shell32.dll,-12704"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\shellex\IconHandler]
@="{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\shellex\MayChangeDefaultMenu]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=dword:00000000

But actually I'd remove IE 7 from Add/Remove programs, and then download and reinstall it, If I were you
Or save the above to a reg file, and merge it (at your risk !!)

Have you recently had a malware infection you removed? The error you're seeing is a footprint tha can be left behind if the tools that should have fixed the problem didn't correct everything correctly. (Note this CAN be a cause. But not necessarily your cause)

I believe remove/uninstall IE should do it.

Though before that step, if you choose,....
How are you starting IE each time? There are several methods. Whether from Quick Launch, your desktop, start programs, etc. Try 2 or 3 different methods. Do you have the same problem each time?

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I had a malware infection removed, but it was back in the Sep. of last year, I believe. I always start IE by clicking the icon on the desktop, the message box only show up when I start IE from the start menu. Are you saying after I uninstall IE7, and then re-install it will solve the problem? Also, is there any possibility that my computer is currently infected? Thank you

Yes Download IE7 then uninstall/reinstall will fix it.

It's just the footprint as LookinAround said.

By the way, if you're running Xp Pro you could just create a reg file (ie copy to Notepad - save as fix.reg) the above in quotes

As for any Malware present
If all else works ok just do that

<yawn> we're all on different time zones so i'm just waking up (08:16) here and saw the posts.

Have you removed/re-installed yet? If not, you may not have to do all that after all as it appears the cause of the problem, in your case, resulted from malware removal. The malware was successfully removed but everything it affected wasn't repaired. I believe only your IE shortcuts need to be fixed.

Do you also have a Quick Launch icon for IE? Try that one as well.

- Delete the Internet Explorer shortcut on your desktop
- Go to the folder under Program Files to find the Internet Explorer executable. For XP you would find the executable in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. If you are running a different Windows version or don't know how to find it, just try searching your computer for the executable iexplore.exe

Finally, just click on the executable file and continue to hold the mouse button as you drag it to your desktop. You should see a new shortcut created and left on the desktop. Use it to start IE. Does it work? Good chances that it will. Let us know!

Delete the Internet Explorer shortcut on your desktop
- Go to the folder under Program Files to find the Internet Explorer executable. For XP you would find the executable in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. If you are running a different Windows version or don't know how to find it, just try searching your computer for the executable iexplore.exe

Finally, just click on the executable file and continue to hold the mouse button as you drag it to your desktop. You should see a new shortcut created and left on the desktop. Use it to start IE. Does it work? Good chances that it will. Let us know!

I think you've misunderstood me. I said, " the message box ONLY show up when I start IE7 from the start menu: Start -> IE7, that means when I start IE in other methods( desktop, Quick Launch, etc) it loads perfectly( no message box), so I don't understand why you want me to delete the IE shortcut on my desktop? I just want the message box to go away.

You're right. Sorry. I got in reverse...

In this case
- highlight IE on the start menu
- right click and select delete
- Go to the iexplorer.exe file under C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
- Click to highlight iexplorer.exe, right click and select Pin to Start Menu

Does let me know if that works ok.

It works ok, the message box doesn't show up anymore. Just one more question: do you think my computer is still infected? Thank you for helping once again, I appreciated it.

LookinAround said:
- Click to highlight iexplorer.exe, right click and select Pin to Start Menu
Yes but that's not the right footprint still
Right clicking on the new pinned IE proves this

Well, if it works so be it, but I like having it right

adu123: I don't think so but running your antii-virus / anti-spyware scans would prove it. Plus many infections, if still active, would simply re-infect you after any cleanup attempt. The fact that you actually saw the "footprint" left behind by an incomplete cleanup was a good sign that the infection itself is probably inactive. Otherwise, it would have changed the registry values back to what it wanted (when you never saw the message box!)

kimsland: My instructions indicated how to repair the IE shortcut in the Start Menu. It was adu123's description of their problem which sounded identical to a "footprint" i've recently seen and left behind by malware removal that served as the tipoff to the root problem (which was then corrected by repairing the shortcut). Simply trying out the repaired shortcut indicated if the footprint was still there or not. (ie problem fixed)

ok misuse of word "footprint" by me.

I am saying the IE shortcut in adu123 Start Menu, is still not the right one.
As to make it the right one, he will need to add the lines to the registry (as per my Xp Pro post) Or re-install IE

One day someone might say, "right click on IE and go to "Internet Properties" (<--exact name) Which presently doesn't exist in his right click (Only the file properties)

But, if it works so be it. As I said, I feel it should be right (perfection requirement :) )

kimsland: you're right. I gave adu123 "a" shortcut to IE for their Start Menu. Not "the" (fully equivalent) shortcut to the one that was corrupted

adu123: The shortcut i gave you will work like the original if you simply click it to open IE. However, if you right click the new one I provided (vs. the original shortcut) you no longer get the context menu displayed as you used to get with the original and which can be handy to have at times.

Kimsland, provide them the instructions to rebuild the original shortcut? adu123, you can note the difference in behavior between the two in your start menu then just delete the one i gave you. Thanks!

I am saying the IE shortcut in adu123 Start Menu, is still not the right one.
As to make it the right one, he will need to add the lines to the registry (as per my Xp Pro post) Or re-install IE

One day someone might say, "right click on IE and go to "Internet Properties" (<--exact name) Which presently doesn't exist in his right click (Only the file properties)

Kimsland, you're absolutely right about that. The new IE shortcut I have now is not the same as the one I had before(the original shortcut). Just like you, I want it to be perfect too, so I guess I'll have to re-install to make it right again. Both of you have been a big help for me, thank you!

why re-install?

right click over the Windows Start and select Properties. Select Start menu tab, Customzie, check Internet under Show on Start Menu. I'm gonna guess this must be same for both Home and Professioanl

/**** Edit ****/
I spent time looking to make sure of all the registry edits when i remember it was all a few mouse clicks away through Start properties

No it's missing the registry entries
If you do that he'll be right back at the start !

Mind you, he might have to do that after re-installing IE

Missing what registry entries? Registry data for placing Internet Explorer in the Start Menu is under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE and i don't think we know what;s there?

/***** Edit *****/
And took a reasonable guess that checking Internet for IE on Start Properties actually writes the required data there! Look at how it;s customizable

In any case, would suggest is easy to try a few mouse clicks to determine if it fixes the problem before doing the effort of uninstall/reinstall

And, in either case, i'm ready for bed! Will have to check back on results in the morning!

That's possible (not sure if probable yet ! Although I agree it's customizable so therefore likely)

I don't want to delete my registry entry to confirm it though.

The question is Does putting IE back also put all the registries back.
You say Yes (I'm not sure - it might depend o the condition of IE in total - Um obviously)

Well if there's still time please try

why re-install?
right click over the Windows Start and select Properties. Select Start menu tab, Customzie, check Internet under Show on Start Menu. I'm gonna guess this must be same for both Home and Professioanl

I've followed your instruction and got the IE shortcut back in the start menu, but when I click on it, the message box still SHOW UP! This proves that putting IE back does not also put all the registries back. Thanks for the advice, though, Good Night!

No it's missing the registry entries, If you do that he'll be right back at the start !
kimsland, you're totally right. By the way, don't take the risk of delete your own IE registry entry for confirm anything, I'll feel guilty if anything bad happen. Thank you

thanks for the update. all good to know for certain....

but wait... again LOL

i was going to give you a link to Microsoft for repairing IE which is here and i just noticed it includes the following information. Hopefully, still a simple solution

Method to follow if you have Internet Explorer 7
If you have Internet Explorer 7, you can repair damaged files or missing registration information in Internet Explorer 7. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Start Internet Explorer 7.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
4. In the Rest Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm.

Wow, according to MS (link above, and post) reset will fix registry entries, and repair IE7
Incredible. Definately worth a try :)

I know.. sometimes the easiest (and newer) solution isn't apparent till found by accident! Hopefully get good feedback on trying this one out and then am sure we'll both remember this fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back