Interview with Pat Gelsinger: Intel's CEO describes a different kind of foundry

Why? Maybe Intel is wearing thin on the fakes they have perpetrated in recent years as more and more customers are catching on to their shenanigans. Or then again, maybe they are realizing that they are losing out to the competition and have nothing else to fall back on. Perhaps this foundry is smoke and mirrors, too, or they are hoping to get the government handout as a donation to their corporate welfare reserve.

I'm not a fan of Intel to begin with, but when a company resorts to faking things in an effort to make itself to look good, IMO, that is the lowest you can go and they deserve the karma they are reaping.

Perhaps a better question is not why, but do they really have anything to offer?

Intel is on the right track. Relying on two south east asian conflict zones for the world's cutting edge semiconductor manufacturing is not a great position for anyone to be in. And while TSMC and Samsung are also diversifying geographically it's high time for some competition, and who better than Intel?

Intel is on the right track. Relying on two south east asian conflict zones for the world's cutting edge semiconductor manufacturing is not a great position for anyone to be in. And while TSMC and Samsung are also diversifying geographically it's high time for some competition, and who better than Intel?
Agree... Half Intel fabs are located in Malaysia and China... I not a fan of USA but I recognise that if China and USA cut relations that would make my life as an IT professional worse.

So Intel won't manufacture chips at a foundry, but they'll "glue" together silicon using their own techniques, and make SoCs? Well, it makes sense considering all they have is EMIB and Foveros... you go with what you have.

But this won't make the market any less dependent on TSMC for etching those darn silicon chips.

Not quite sure if Intel is addressing the right issue, here. What is the demand for SoC packaging? There's a study that says advance chip packaging is a $46.5 billion industry in 2024, with a predicted rise to $61bn in 2027. There seems to be a market for it, but it's also very competitive.

This adds no value whatsoever to Intel unless they can put their money where their mouth is.

This isn't addressing that. Intel isn't manufacturing the chips like TSMC. They're packaging them (also a highly technical matter). SEA will still produce the silicon, but then they'll ship them off to Intel and Intel will - like Legos - put them together and get them all talking.

Back