iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max review round-up: Impressive camera and battery life

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: It’s mid-September and that can only mean one thing – Apple’s next wave of iPhones are nearly upon us (okay, college football is back, too). This year’s flagships include the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max, the first handsets from Cupertino that the company has designated as Pro-grade devices. Review embargos lifted today ahead of their September 20 launch and by most accounts, Apple has delivered the types of improvements that people actually care about such as better cameras and significantly better battery life.

Let's hear what the experts have to say.

Engadget’s Chris Velazco dives right in with a look at the new (but also old) design:

Apart from the colors, the biggest changes can be found on the Pros' backs. They're now clad in a single piece of milled glass with a matte finish that covers everything except the Apple logo and the phones' three cameras. I'm a fan of this design for a few reasons: For one, it gives the Pro and Pro Max a more distinctive feel compared with the mid-range iPhone 11. They're much less likely to show off greasy fingerprints, which -- as a slob -- I'm very grateful for. Apple also suggests that this new finish makes the Pros less prone to slippage, and that seems to be true. (Throwing on one of Apple's new clear cases wouldn't hurt, though.)

I'm the sort of person who doesn't think twice about leaving my phones perched precariously on uneven tables and the arms of couches. Needless to say, my things clatter to the ground a lot. It's hardly a scientific observation, but neither of the new Pros slid around as much as my iPhone XS typically does.

Image courtesy The Verge

Matthew Panzarino with TechCrunch dishes on the display:

Apple’s new Super Retina display has a 2M:1 contrast ratio and displays up to 1,200 nits in HDR content and 800 in non-HDR. What does this mean out in the sun at the park? Not a whole lot, but the screen is slightly easier to read and see detail on while in sunny conditions. The “extended” portion of Apple’s new XDR screen terminology on the iPhone 11 Pro is due to lux, a luminance metric, not a color metric, so the color gamut remains the same. However, I have noticed that HDR images look slightly flatter on the iPhone XS than they do on the iPhone 11 Pro. The iPhone 11’s screen, while decent, does not compare to the rich blacks and great contrast range of the iPhone 11 Pro. It’s one of two major reasons to upgrade.

Image courtesy TechCrunch

Mashable’s Raymond Wong covers the elephant in the room:

A lot of people don’t like the way the three lenses protrude in a squircle-shaped bump that also houses the LED flash and microphone. The holes are reportedly triggering people’s trypophobia (fear of clusters of holes and bumps).

I’m not dismissing trypophobia, but having used the iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max for a week ahead of its release, I can definitively say everyone needs to chill out.

Almost everyone I’ve shown the iPhone 11 Pro to say it’s not as offensive in person — the lens rings aren’t nearly as thick as closeup images make them appear — and the design is one of a kind (for now).

The fact that I literally couldn’t go anywhere in New York City without drawing attention from people who spotted the triple cameras suggests the iPhone 11 Pros already have what Android phones could only dream of: celebrity status.

Lauren Goode with Wired on video capabilities:

If the iPhone 11 Pro still photos don’t sway you, then maybe its videos will. All three new iPhones shoot 4K video at 60 frames per second, as did the phones last year. But this year’s video capture comes with extended dynamic range, which means the phone is actually capturing 120 frames per second and using those extra frames to produce videos with better colors and higher contrast. The short video clips I’ve shot so far do look better than the videos on my iPhone XS.

All of the new models of iPhone now apply software image stabilization to 4K video at 60 frames per second too. Pro shooters might be pleased with another small addition: The Lightning port on the new iPhones now supports LED flash accessories.

Plus, the front-facing camera now shoots video in 4K, and captures—wait for it— “slofies.” These are slow-motion selfies. My editor and I sat there for several seconds shooting a slow-motion selfie before we realized, that was it. That’s all a slofie is. Still, it’s fun.

Audio sounds better, too, as Mark Spoonauer with Tom’s Guide highlights:

The sound on the iPhone 11 Pro Max is just as bright as the visuals, as there's now spatial audio with Dolby Atmos support. When watching the trailer for Yesterday, Jack's cover of The Beatles famous track had more dimension to it through the iPhone 11 Pro Max compared with the iPhone XS Max. The guitar strings and vocals were much more present, while they sounded flatter on last year's phone.

Nilay Patel from The Verge gives the scoop on battery life:

Between the larger size and the removal of the 3D Touch system, there’s more room inside the case for a bigger battery, which seems like a big part of Apple’s claimed four-hour battery life increase from the iPhone XS and five-hour increase for the Pro Max from the XS Max.

Those numbers are fairly difficult to test, however. You’ll notice that the only hard battery life numbers Apple publishes now are fixed tests of single actions, like video and audio playback on a loop. That’s not how anyone really uses a phone, and Apple’s claims of improved battery life over the previous phones aren’t really based on those tests. Instead, the company takes a huge dataset of real-world iPhone usage and runs it against a model of the new phone that accounts for the various processor, chipset, display, and OS power improvements and the larger battery capacity.

It’s clever, but there’s no way for reviewers to repeat and verify that test. So the best I can tell you is that Apple has historically been good about meeting its battery life claims, and the iPhone 11 Pro Max I’ve been using every day for a week has consistently run for 12 to 14 hours on a single charge, with over 10 hours of screen-on time reported in the battery settings per 24-hour period.

Image courtesy Mashable

We go back to Engadget for their take on the battery situation:

If your current phone's battery has seen better days, though, the Pros might be worth the splurge now. So far, Apple's claims of significantly improved battery seem spot on. When I tested the brand-new XS last year, it would run for between 9 to 9.5 hours off a single charge on days with heavy use. This year, the smaller Pro dealt with the same general workloads and lasted for closer to 12 hours before needing a charge. The larger Pro Max, meanwhile, routinely stuck around for between 13 to 14 hours on a single charge, compared to the 11 to 12 hours I squeezed out of the iPhone XS Max.

Tom’s Guide’s Mark Spoonauer on the A13 Bionic’s performance:

This is going to sound like a broken record, but Apple has the world's fastest phone once more, thanks to its powerful A13 Bionic processor. This chip packs a CPU and GPU that are both 20% faster than last year’s A12, along with a neural engine for machine learning that's also 20% faster.

I noticed this speed difference when opening apps like Asphalt 9. The iPhone 11 Pro Max took a little less than 4 seconds, compared with 8 seconds for the Galaxy Note 10 Plus. Mortal Kombat also loaded a couple of seconds faster on the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

On Geekbench 5, a relatively new benchmark that measures overall performance, the iPhone 11 Pro Max notched a single-core mark of 1,334 and a multicore score of 3,517, The Galaxy Note 10 Plus scored 736 and 2,691 respectively, while the OnePlus 7 Pro was also behind with 744 and 2,802. Last year's iPhone XS Max scored 1,106 and 2,773.

What day-to-day use is like according to CNBC’s Todd Haselton:

But speaking of normal use: It seemed like it just whizzed around everything, especially when loading graphics-heavy games like Grimvalor or opening and closing apps. I don’t think last year’s iPhones are slow by any means, but this did feel just a hair faster at everything. You’ll really notice an upgrade if you’re coming from something like an iPhone 6 or iPhone 7, but keep in mind the performance will be similar on the cheaper iPhone 11, since it has the same A13 Bionic chip.

Nilay Patel with The Verge had some issues with iOS 13:

My iPhone 11 and 11 Pro review units are running iOS 13.0, and iOS 13.0 is pretty damn buggy. I saw all kinds of glitches and crashes during my week of testing, as did Verge executive editor Dieter Bohn with his iPhone 11 review unit running iOS 13. The home screen has crashed and relaunched. Messages glitches out and puts the text entry field at the top of the screen. AirDrop has crashed out so hard I’ve had to restart the phone a few times to get it working again. The camera app lags from time to time. There are a lot of good new features in iOS 13, but it’s clear that Apple’s pushing hard to get it out, and I don’t think there’s any harm in waiting a tick for these bugs to get cleared up.

Image courtesy The Verge

The bottom line from The New York Times’ Brian X. Chen:

So now is the moment to ask: Do we really need to upgrade our iPhones every two years?

Based on my tests of the iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, the answer is no. Don’t get me wrong: The newest models are nice. Apple has made them speedier, improved the cameras and lengthened their battery life. The new lineup also starts at a lower price of $700, down from $750 a year ago, which is a relief in an era of skyrocketing smartphone costs.

But none of this is enough to warrant an immediate upgrade if you have had your smartphone for only two years. The latest iPhones just aren’t a big leap forward from last year’s iPhones or even the iPhone X from 2017.

So here’s what I ultimately suggest: You should definitely upgrade if your current device is at least five years old. The iPhone 11 models are all a significant step up from those introduced in 2014. But for everyone else with smartphones from 2015 or later, there is no rush to buy. Instead, there is more mileage and value to be had out of the excellent smartphone you already own.

Permalink to story.

With every single new iPhone, Apple gives me a faster CPU, a better GPU, a faster camera, a better camcorder and better battery life based on the more efficient CPU.

But I'm sorry to say, they've lost me this year and I probably won't be getting an iPhone 11 - although I may get a new Apple Watch.

I only wanted one feature: 1 TB of storage.

I absolutely don't see the logic behind upgrading my iPhone XS MAX 512GB to an iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB when my current phone is so good at shooting 4K 60FPS videos and posting on my social medias.

I have no complaints about current battery life as I still carry a Mophie Powerstation 12x so I can record at events for upwards of 5 hours which would kill any phone's battery.

I'll just wait for iPhone 12.

Last edited:
1TB will come eventually... but I don't see any reason to upgrade unless you're older than the X... while it "kind of" made sense to upgrade your smartphone every 2 years awhile back, it's now perfectly fine to wait 3 years - even if you are buying top-of-the-line flagships.

Naturally, if you're not concerned about performance, you can wait even longer - but in that case, maybe you should be buying a cheaper phone to begin with...

I only wanted one feature: 1 TB of storage.
It is cheaper and more practical to just sign up for a cloud storage, and have auto-sync on.

Cloud Storage isn't local.

My phone is a 512GB and that means that after you account for the 100GB of personal info and other stuff, I still have a solid 400GB of recording space locally.

I can shoot around 7 hours of video safely and still have enough space to finalize the 4K version on my phone before uploading to Youtube - and I can do it on site in foreign countries without needing to use a laptop.

If I had 1TB, I wouldn't need any more storage at all because I could make up to 20 HOURS worth of 4K 60FPS video and safely be able to finalize it on the phone.

When I travel, I usually do an airline video, a video for country #1 and then a video of country #2.

On my last rounds I made a video of Philippine Airlines Business class and Premium Economy...and then I made a video for South Korea and the Philippines.

Next time I wanna make another Emirates video in Business and then Dubai (again) Maldives and Seychelles.

I just need MORE storage space.

I don't see 8K60fps becoming a standard on social media anytime soon so 4K 60fps is my sweet spot.

Although I must say: 1080p 60fps works best since most viewers are on mobile devices and phones don't do 4K yet.

Cloud Storage isn't local.

My phone is a 512GB and that means that after you account for the 100GB of personal info and other stuff, I still have a solid 400GB of recording space locally.

I can shoot around 7 hours of video safely and still have enough space to finalize the 4K version on my phone before uploading to Youtube - and I can do it on site in foreign countries without needing to use a laptop.

If I had 1TB, I wouldn't need any more storage at all because I could make up to 20 HOURS worth of 4K 60FPS video and safely be able to finalize it on the phone.

When I travel, I usually do an airline video, a video for country #1 and then a video of country #2.

On my last rounds I made a video of Philippine Airlines Business class and Premium Economy...and then I made a video for South Korea and the Philippines.

Next time I wanna make another Emirates video in Business and then Dubai (again) Maldives and Seychelles.

I just need MORE storage space.

I don't see 8K60fps becoming a standard on social media anytime soon so 4K 60fps is my sweet spot.

Although I must say: 1080p 60fps works best since most viewers are on mobile devices and phones don't do 4K yet.
Sounds like the real feature you want is the ability to add a memory card.... then you’d have unlimited storage.... there ARE phones that offer this....

Sounds like the real feature you want is the ability to add a memory card.... then you’d have unlimited storage.... there ARE phones that offer this....

Ummm no.

The last thing I'd want is to have to buy one of those slower $450 1TB memory cards for some non-ios, unstable, overheating prone, Android Phones without iMovie iOS.

People who don't understand just don't understand.

There is no competitor phone out there that does what iPhone XS Max/ 11 Pro Max can do when it comes to 4K60FPS video production on the phone itself because there's nothing else able to run any equivalent program to iMovie iOS for these durations of time without overheating and shutting down. That's the REAL benchmarking that should be done.

And once you exit the camera app, Android apps don't look as good, don't function as smoothly, take too long to get updates and don't get updates for as long as iOS software does.

I can't be over-sold to a lesser device.

I demand iOS.
I demand high-capacity storage for iOS.
I am patient and will wait a year for it if need be.
What I will not do is downgrade.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, no one on this site, or on planet earth in fact, have used a high end Android phone AND an iPhone. Or compared them, that would be madness...
don't get updates for as long as iOS software does.
I feel like you haven't even thought about your own argument to yourself.

When you first joined Techspot, you ranted so hard about your phone I thought you were some weird Apple Advert Bot or something, I think I even reported you as a spam bot. It's even more incredible knowing you really are a human being and you really do think Apple is the best at absolutely everything regardless. Just incredible...

Ummm no.

The last thing I'd want is to have to buy one of those slower $450 1TB memory cards for some non-ios, unstable, overheating prone, Android Phones without iMovie iOS.

There is no competitor phone out there that does what iPhone XS Max/ 11 Pro Max can do when it comes to 4K60FPS video production on the phone itself because there's nothing else able to run any equivalent program to iMovie iOS for these durations of time without overheating and shutting down. That's the REAL benchmarking that should be done.

And once you exit the camera app, Android apps don't look as good, don't function as smoothly, take too long to get updates and don't get updates for as long as iOS software does.

I demand iOS.
Wait, this isn't a joke rant? Man, you need to march over to Apple Headquarters and demand this, or get back to reality. Whichever is easier for you.

You're absolutely right, no one on this site, or on planet earth in fact, have used a high end Android phone AND an iPhone. Or compared them, that would be madness...
don't get updates for as long as iOS software does.
I feel like you haven't even thought about your own argument to yourself.

When you first joined Techspot, you ranted so hard about your phone I thought you were some weird Apple Advert Bot or something, I think I even reported you as a spam bot. It's even more incredible knowing you really are a human being and you really do think Apple is the best at absolutely everything regardless. Just incredible...
I've used both, iPhone 6S Plus and Samsung Galaxy Note 8; I'll be returning to the iphone. Android is a mess, in my opinion.

I've used both, iPhone 6S Plus and Samsung Galaxy Note 8; I'll be returning to the iphone. Android is a mess, in my opinion.
I'm in the same boat. Currently rocking the old 6S, as it is the last classic iPhone with real physical button. Was going to go for Note 10 first, but after reading about all the scumware that Android is plagued with today, decided against. Will be getting iPhone 11 Pro Max when the orders start. One of the things I really like - 11 Pro Max has one of the best battery lives today - it's first one for Apple.

Last edited:
I have the iPhone XR and Pixel 3XL, and use both of them daily. The only benefit the iPhone has over the Pixel is battery life. Absolutely blows it out of the water, hands down.

Everything else..... Android’s camera, AI, apps, ecosystem, and software is all significantly better. Maybe I’ll give iMessage the second +1 for Apple because Google can’t seemingly figure out RCS to save their lives.

I find very few people who use both ecosystems daily, on the latest (or damn near it) hardware and able to provide an objective review. My biggest beef with the iPhone in general is Siri. By god, you tell an Apple fanboy that AI is important and they’ll shrug you off because they’re still living with an AI worthy of 2013.

I'll be upgrading to the Pro. I have an iPhone 7 Plus that's not getting the battery life I want/need even though it shows 83% battery health. So 3-year cycle for me. I could probably push it out.

I do have a Samsung GS9+ that's been sitting in a drawer because of so much bloatware... the screen is beyond beautiful compare to the iPhone 7plus old IPS.

Those are old phones? Why not try and compare a modern Android? Also what's with everyone's obsession with Samsung? I've had nothing but bad luck with Samsung's myself but for some reason, whenever someone hear's "Android" they just seem to hear "Samsung".
Ifind very few people who use both ecosystems daily, on the latest (or damn near it) hardware and able to provide an objective review.
I do, in fact, if you looked at my past with phones, you'd assume I'm more of an iPhone guy. My company phone is updated every 2-3 years and it's always an iPhone, I also personally only used iPhone until the 6 plus.

That's why I find it so incredible how much people are prepared to stick up for Apple, it really isn't anything special anymore and in more ways than one, they actually feel behind.

Last edited:

I don't like anything about Android.

Personally, I'm disappointed Microsoft never built a good mobile OS with looks, usability and features as good as iOS.

I have the iPhone XR and Pixel 3XL, and use both of them daily. The only benefit the iPhone has over the Pixel is battery life. Absolutely blows it out of the water, hands down.

Everything else..... Android’s camera, AI, apps, ecosystem, and software is all significantly better. Maybe I’ll give iMessage the second +1 for Apple because Google can’t seemingly figure out RCS to save their lives.

I find very few people who use both ecosystems daily, on the latest (or damn near it) hardware and able to provide an objective review. My biggest beef with the iPhone in general is Siri. By god, you tell an Apple fanboy that AI is important and they’ll shrug you off because they’re still living with an AI worthy of 2013.
I use both ecosystems. My personal phone is a moto z play, and my work phone is an iphone 6s. I was a windows phone fan for years, so I dont have strong feelings for either android or iOS

The 6s is impressive in that it is going on 5 years old and still feels snappy. The moto z is 3 years old and also feels snappy. I just remember when a 2 year old device felt like molasses, and it really does underline the lack of need for constant upgrades.

I far prefer the layout of the google play store. The app store, wthout menus, feels clausterphobic to navigate. I like that google lets me install emulators, I like the variety of choices at far lower prices, and android has no limit on the size of apps downloaded over LTE. Apple does, which is a massive pain in this era of unlimited data. Android can play all video file formats, not he handful that apple bothers to support.

So why am I considering an iphone?

Well, the moto z play was sold as having amazing battery life of 8 hours of SoT. Wow! At the time, it was really impressive. Now, the 11, 11 pro, and 11 pro max all get longer batery life. I still beat them because my moto Z play has the battery pack that doubles capacity, but the pack now has a dying cell, and with the pack I cant use a case. I HATE not having a case. I lost my first moto z play because it slipped out of my hand and smacked the ground.

iMessage, with encryption, is obvious.

Safari is honest to god better. Google chrome mobile's UI sucks. The switch tab button and options are on the top of the screen, and android phone are so DAMN big now you have to use two hands. Apple puts almost everything on the bottom so I can use it one handed. And safari has adblockers! And VPN integration! Chrome mobile lacks these things, and lately I cant even watch a 10 minute youtube video without 2-3 ads, sometimes 2-3 minutes long each, interupting me. There are adblock solutions for android, but they either require root or suck down so much battery they aint worth it. I listen to youtube while driving, and I cant take my eyes away from the road to skip ads.

iOS has nightshift. I love blue light filters, its on 24/7 on my work ipad. I'd love to have it on my personal phone. Again, android has ways of doing it, but no integrated solution.

The moto only has 32GB of internal storage. It has an SD card, but google long ago butchered the ability of android to move stuff to SD card. Many modern, large apps will not allow moving to SD card. It's a real pain.

Of course, some of these may have been adressed in newer android versions. I wouldnt know, I'll never get an update past 8, started on 6.1. Iphones get 5 years. and if I go outside motorola, I have to deal with other manufacturers skins, updates, apps, and god knows what else. Moto is the only non pixel line to have mostly stock android.

It's not a done deal, and I may get another year out of my moto, but I REALLY am eyeing up the iphone 11 pro.

Those are old phones? Why not try and compare a modern Android? Also what's with everyone's obsession with Samsung? I've had nothing but bad luck with Samsung's myself but for some reason, whenever someone hear's "Android" they just seem to hear "Samsung".

I do, in fact, if you looked at my past with phones, you'd assume I'm more of an iPhone guy. My company phone is updated every 2-3 years and it's always an iPhone, I also personally only used iPhone until the 6 plus.

That's why I find it so incredible how much people are prepared to stick up for Apple, it really isn't anything special anymore and in more ways than one, they actually feel behind.
Well, because most people are not aware of different android manufacturers. HTC, LG, sony, they have tiny market shares in many parts of the world, not even just the US.

As for modern android, well, you'd have to keep buying new android phones to keep the comparison fresh. Problems like fragmentation, lack of system updates, and new features beign restricted to certian models based on manufacturer are STILL an android problem.

Hell, "OLD". WTF are you on about? The note 8 ISNT OLD. It's only two years behind the CURRENT generation. If you think that is "old" for android, well you've answered your own question on why people perfere apple, havent you?

Well, because most people are not aware of different android manufacturers. HTC, LG, sony, they have tiny market shares in many parts of the world, not even just the US.

As for modern android, well, you'd have to keep buying new android phones to keep the comparison fresh. Problems like fragmentation, lack of system updates, and new features being restricted to certain models based on manufacturer are STILL an android problem.

Hell, "OLD". WTF are you on about? The note 8 ISNT OLD. It's only two years behind the CURRENT generation. If you think that is "old" for android, well you've answered your own question on why people perfect apple, haven't you?
Samsung are well known to take ages to release newer Android versions onto their handsets. They need to fill it up with bloatware first.

Maybe it's just me but I've never been suckered into Marketing material, no matter how hard they shove it down my throat. I always go off personal experience, word of mouth and independent reviews.

Anyway, the only reason I replied to this thread is because it's only been in the last 3 years I've even started using Android for my personal phone, I was all iPhone crazy before .It's just incredible to see such nonsense from Apple fanatics. My Brother is an Apple Fanatic, he sounds just like QuantumPhysics, claiming the iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread. Once I gave him my OnePlus 7 Pro and just left him to it, he came away much quieter. Probably because it was just hitting him how much money he just wasted away.

I'm a Pixel user myself - and I agree with you regarding the ecosystem - Apple doesn't hold too many aces outside of iMessage and the length of time they offer updates. However, I totally get why people love Apple's phones. It's the MacDonnalds effect that is attractive to so many users - the familiarity, the fact that you know precisely what it is that you're getting when you buy a new iPhone. The slow but steady evolution, reliability and decent quality. It's worth a lot.

Ummm no.

I demand iOS.

Just get the new one and carry both.ya get the 1tb storage.and the second battery life.I mean as you wait a generation,or year.whatever comes first.

Last edited:
I myself ,am due for a new phone.my Alcatel idol 4s with Windows 10 is still going strong.battery is starting to head south though.the ol'ladys galaxy S7 android I despise.had an S4Mini.looks like I'm gonna have to look at apple more seriously.

Back