iPhones and Apple Watches could soon replace your car keys

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Smartphones can perform a multitude of functions, and they might soon be able to unlock, lock, and even start a vehicle. The feature, which has been discovered in the beta version of iOS 13.4 for developers, allows iPhone and Apple Watch owners to use the devices as car keys with NFC-compatible vehicles.

9to5Mac discovered references to a “CarKey” API in the beta of iOS 13.4. According to the files, users will only need to hold their iPhone/Apple Watch near a vehicle to use it like a key.

It was also discovered that the feature would exist within the wallet app, and, as is the case with Express Transit Cards, it doesn’t require Face ID after the initial pairing; this means that CarKey will work even with an iPhone or Apple Watch that's out of battery power.

Those interested in using the feature will require an NFC-compatible car, of course, and will need the vehicle manufacturer’s app installed. Users have to place their iPhone on top of the car’s NFC reader during the initial setup, and CarKey will appear in the wallet app. It can then be added to the Apple Watch.

Another aspect of CarKey is that it can be shared with friends and family members. Users can invite them via the wallet app, at which point they’ll see a message reading: “%@ invited you to use their %@ with unlock access. This allows you to use your iPhone and Apple Watch to unlock/lock the car.”

It’s believed that Apple is already working with some car manufacturers to implement CarKey, but there’s been no official announcement from the company about the feature yet. Assuming everything goes to plan, expect to see it once iOS 13.4 officially arrives.

Image credit: gunsan gimbanjang and Denys Prykhodov via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I would actually like something like this. I have been using keyless entry and ignition now since about 2004 I love it. I have always kept my car "key" in my wallet. On my renaults this wasn't too bad as the key was thin and like a credit card, but on my Mazda its quite chunky. If I could carry one less thing it would be handy. What I don't want this is to have to take my phone out of my pocket to open my car, it needs to working just like keyless entry and have a little bit more umph on the nfa chip.

Considering the number of devices out there that can pick up and record the open/close signal for cars now I can see a rash of auto thefts based on this technology. Oh yes, I can hear the "but this one is different" chants out there but every time we are told it's foolproof the fools are the one that buy it and suffer the eventual consequences ......

I would actually like something like this. I have been using keyless entry and ignition now since about 2004 I love it. I have always kept my car "key" in my wallet. On my renaults this wasn't too bad as the key was thin and like a credit card, but on my Mazda its quite chunky. If I could carry one less thing it would be handy. What I don't want this is to have to take my phone out of my pocket to open my car, it needs to working just like keyless entry and have a little bit more umph on the nfa chip.

I agree, keyless entry is every thieves dream and favorite method of steling cars and robing high-tech homes. There's even a YT channel with high-tech expensive cars being retrieved by security companies after they have been stolen by thieves gaining keyless entry to home yards and garages and using cloned car keys to finish up the job. One thing all those robberies have in common is: easy entry, no alarms, no noise, preferred to robbing sites that have alarms and are not keyless.

So someone will hack the app and allow their own phone onto your friend list, thus stealing your car.

Or a thief will take your phone, and thus have the keys to your car.

Nope. All this wireless SMART junk is a hackers/thieves wet dream. I'll take my car with the tried and true key thanks.

They usually just scan and copy the frequency and/or data with their gadgets. With each new lock and system, there is a new gadget for thieves.

This will never happen for me. I will never own an Apple anything and can not wear a watch.

No thanks...for the same reason I use manual transmission. It's NOW a "security" feature. Old fashion key to start the car, manual transmission to shift gears. ;)

So if your phone is broken or out of battery you're just boned until you can buy a new device. Or if someone steals your phone they can also drive your car away.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

So someone will hack the app and allow their own phone onto your friend list, thus stealing your car.

That might be the case with what Apple is proposing. My Tesla Model 3 can use most any modern smartphone as a key (via Bluetooth, not NFC), but you can't add a phone without being inside the car and using the keycard that came with the car to do it. And as far as I understand it... while many modern key fobs can be "hacked" via relay devices, I don't believe anyone has ever successfully hacked a Model 3 key (either phone or key card).

Or a thief will take your phone, and thus have the keys to your car.

To be fair... the same thing would happen if the thief stole the actual car key. So not much difference there.

To be fair... the same thing would happen if the thief stole the actual car key. So not much difference there.
Except people usually expose their phone more so than they do their keys. And service personnel can pair their devices more easily than duplicating a key.

Back