Iran wants citizens to swap Telegram for domestically made app featuring "Death to America"...

midian182

Staff member

We’re used to hearing about Russia’s ongoing fight with Telegram, but it isn’t the only country that has a problem with the messaging service. Iran blames it for spreading the civil unrest that caused massive protests in December. As such, it is promoting a new domestically produced communications app that comes complete with “Death to America” emojis.

Around 50 million Iranian use Telegram, partly because of its focus on encryption and privacy, but the country looks set to follow in Russia’s footsteps and ban the service. Authorities want citizens to replace it with Soroush, which has about 5 million users but lacks end-to-end encryption.

Ayatollah Khamenei quit Telegram this week and has assured people that their privacy won’t be compromised if they move to Soroush, though most users seem far from convinced—Iranians joke that the app’s three ticks represent the message being sent, received, and intercepted by the country’s security services.

Some of the emojis in the Iranian-made app includes a series of women in traditional chadors holding placards. One shows the country’s Supreme Leader, while the others wish death on America, Israel, and the Freemasons.

Iran temporarily blocked Telegram in January during the anti-government protests. The app’s Russian founder, Pavel Durov, says it will always "stand for freedom and privacy." The app was banned in Russia earlier this month for not handing over its encryption keys, and the same may happen in Iran. The country’s Supreme Cyberspace Council has already banned public institutions from using foreign apps, though Iran's Supreme Leader, president, and other officials are still posting on their accounts on Twitter, according to the BBC, and Khamenei's office has a Facebook page.

Permalink to story.

That's hilarious!

I wonder if the general population ever gets tired of being force-fed "hate the west" banter - and now emoji's. Especially considering they crave Levi's and Nike gear. ;)

When you claim tolerance but your domestic messenger app with an (obvious) backdoor for your government's intelligence services has 'death to X' emojis on it without the slightest hint of sarcasm.

I also love that Russia are advertising the fact they can't break the encryption on Telegram so ban it, therefore everyone will want to keep using it.....

Last edited:
That looks friendly.

I bet it comes with new and improved suicide bomber kits for the back-to-school season.

Personally I would like to see one of an American worker holding up a sign that says "Nuke Iran" ...... seems like a reasonable counter to their foolishness ...... no?

Now watch the US continue to buy oil from Iran, as well as continue sending the country foreign aid while a state built messaging app contains "death to america" in it.

Should just let Israel run them over instead.

Meanwhile, President Macron of France wants us to keep the Iran nuke deal (the one where Obama gave them pallets full of cash which went directly into their weapons program). Yeah, that makes sense.

I am just wondering if the developers of this app did it as a joke.
I mean, those are usually educated people, they definitely know what this app really is and how it compares to telegram.
So maybe they produced these satirical emojis knowing
their country leaders wouldn't understand for what it was.

That's hilarious!

I wonder if the general population ever gets tired of being force-fed "hate the west" banter - and now emoji's. Especially considering they crave Levi's and Nike gear. ;)
It's not just Iran that doesn't like America...

Back