Is Geforce4 FX 5200 PCI any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthKirby

I can either pay $120 for a Geforce4 FX 5200 PCI or pay about $25 (after mail-in rebates :D ) for a Geforce4 MX420 PCI card. Would it be worth paying all the extra money for the FX card?

And no, I can't get an AGP card.

Geforce4 FX? the geforce 4 and the geforce fx are totally different chipsets.....and y on earth cant u get a AGP card - if ur motherboard is so old u cant put an AGP card in it - it is probebly useless getting a new graphix card anyway

Steg

Steg: Too old to put an AGP card in? More like onboard graphics in an OEM machine like HP, Compaq or something. There are many manufacturers who still build boards with onboard graphics and no AGP port.

I didn't know the FX came in PCI. I would probably go for the MX420 myself. You can't beat $25 for a vid card. And it would be a big improvement over the onboard gfx you have. It will also free up resources that have been used by the onboard.

Darth.I could get one for 79 bucks delivered.I also thought about this upgrade,but all the reports say wait just a couple weeks longer for the NV35.I hear probs with I think with DDR II so they are going back to reg DDR. If I didnt get this right please someone correct me. Darth no offense,please get a newer board with AGP,I go to pricewatch.com the deals cant be beat anywhere.Good luck! Peace

geforce fx 5200PCI

sup, darth
i know its frustrating to have no onboard agp slot, but i checked the price for geforcefx5200128mb its around usd120. quite hefty..but i think the performance will be good tho...i'm not sure about geforceFXPCI but check its counterpart ATI Radeon 9100 128mbPCI (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1027701)....the benchmark for 3d mark was like 7000+(usinP4)...better than all geforce2 and a few geforce4MX agp based card that i can think of....extremely good for a PCI based card...the price was almost the same with the FX....but FX have DX9 while Radeon have DX8.1....all i can say is, the FXPCI might be better than the radeonPCI..i know its hard if u want to change the motherboard..got to buy new processor, ram and stuffs..but if ur looking for a decent gaming solution...the FXPCI or Radeon 9100PCI is a must. try and look for ur purpose and budget..if u think u have around 350+bucks to spend and want better performance for upgrade then its better for u to buy new mobo with agpslot with new processor(if u using P3), ram, and the agp version of FX..dont buy the old g2agp...coz this FXPCI and Radeon9100PCI are much much more better. hope this might help.

I think a FX board would be overkill to your system, you should get some GF4MX or GF3GTS.

And you really need some more system memory, 128 is way too little if you want to make use of that new graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back