Is it unsafe/will it cause damage to turn the computer on from the PSU?

I recently installed a new Power Supply, and although I'm fairly certain I have my power button's power plugged in correctly, it doesn't turn the computer on when I press it. I've been making a habit of turning the PSU off for a few seconds, and then turning it back on to start up the computer.

Before I do this for too long, does it cause damage to the computer in any way?

It's unlikely it will cause much damage to your computer (maybe the HDD if you do it too often while the HDD is still being accessed) however that is a very good way to kill Your PSU especially if it is non-pfc. Every time you do that it creates an inrush current that the PSU circuitry must absorb overtime this can be damaging to various components in the PSU (mainly capacitors and rectifiers). Also the system should not turn on when you turn on the PSU unless the power button is pressed in an ATX board so you may have a short somewhere which could cause serious damage to your computer.

Is there any way to go about finding where this short is? I don't have any particular access to any computer experts, I'm pretty much flying solo here.

To expand on it, I have to turn the power supply off for 5 seconds or so before turning it back on or it doesn't actually turn the computer on. I don't know what might be causing it; perhaps I have the power button plugged into the wrong place on the motherboard?

Is this a new system or an old one in which the PSU was replaced? If it is an old system did it work correctly before PSU replacement? Has anything else been changed / disconnected and reconnected? What is the brand model and specs of the PSU (should be on the label)? What are the system specs?

Is this a new system or an old one in which the PSU was replaced? If it is an old system did it work correctly before PSU replacement? Has anything else been changed / disconnected and reconnected? What is the brand model and specs of the PSU (should be on the label)? What are the system specs?

It's a fairly new system, had it about a year, but the PSU was being replaced. It worked correctly before. Last upgrade I had installed the new PSU (Corsair CMPSU-750TX), a new GPU (EVGA 570GTX) and three new fans. One of the fans wouldn't work despite being plugged in as directed, so I (just now actually) replaced it with the old fan.

System specs are:
ASUS M4A785-M motherboard
4GB RAM
nVidia 570GTx
AMD Phenom X4 3.2gHz
Western Digital 500GB HDD
Raidmax Smilodon Black Case

The PSU is a decent one so it is unlikely to be causing the problem although even the best brands sometimes have DOAs. My money would be on the video card. I've seen defective video cards do things like this (either refuse to turn on or refuse to turn off). If you still have your old video card try swapping it back in and see if the problem continues.

Alright, I'll try it with the old card when next I get the chance.

For reference, I've been doing this for a little over a month and a half now - do you think substantial damage has been caused to the PSU yet, or should it still work alright? I usually turn it on only in the morning, so I'd have only done it probably once a day.

That PSU is built well enough that it should be fine. If it was a cheap no-name PSU I'd worry. It's still not good to cycle a PSU like that, but the good ones can handle it for a while before any damage is done.

in my experience turning the comp off by the psu can bugger the hdd same with any sudden tun off's minus the reset button

in my experience turning the comp off by the psu can bugger the hdd same with any sudden tun off's minus the reset button

If it is spun up and especially if it is being accessed that is certainly a possibility, as I stated in my first post.

dmill89 said:
It's unlikely it will cause much damage to your computer (maybe the HDD if you do it too often while the HDD is still being accessed)

The HDD being accessed and especially if it is writing data are the key considerations for HDD being messed up from a loss of power. More often than not it is just corrupted data/damaged sectors, but there is the possibility that mechanical damage can occur especially in older drives.

Back