Inactive Is the firmware on the SanDisk MobileMate SD+ USB device totally safe from malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently used a computer at a local public library that was definitely infected with spyware and adware (and it was also probably infected with viruses, as well), but before I was able to determine this, I had already copied a few very important files from that infected machine to my SanDisk MobileMate SD+ and I had also already deleted the original files from my online virtual drive. I am aware that the files that were copied over could possibly be infected (and that particular SD card probably got infected as well), but what I do not know is if any sort of malware currently out there can actually infect the firmware on the actual device itself because I do not want to run the risk of using this device any further until I know one way or the other. Any help/advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Download, and run Flash Disinfector, and save it to your desktop (Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, scroll down)

*Please disable any AV / ScriptBlockers as they might detect Flash Disinfector to be malicious and block it. Hence, the failure in executing. You can enable them back after the cleaning process*

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 users
Flash Disinfector is not compatible with the above Windows version.
Please, use Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer

Now, you can safely plug your USB flash drive and scan it for any infection with your AV program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back